Chapter(31)

"I don't want this baby," Meerab's voice quivered as she uttered those words, her eyes filled with a mixture of fear, sadness, and uncertainty. The hospital room seemed to close in on her, and the weight of her revelation hung heavily in the air.

Murtasim broke the hug and looked at his wife's teary eyes. He could see the turmoil within her, and it pained him deeply.

"It will remind me of what Rohail did to me. It will remind me of the all the things he has done to me," she continued, her voice trembling with raw emotion.

"Meerab," Murtasim began softly, his own heart heavy, "I know this is overwhelming, and the circumstances are far from ideal. But please remember, we are in this together. Whatever you decide, I'll support you."

Just as they held each other in this difficult moment, the door clicked open. Meerab and Murtasim turned their gaze toward the door to find Dr. Zara entering with a broad smile on her face. Her timing seemed almost surreal.

"Sorry to disturb you, guys," Dr. Zara said, her voice carrying an air of excitement that contrasted with the heaviness of the room.

"Doctor, please. I don't want this baby. I don't think I will be able to love this baby." Meerab cried, her emotions laid bare, her words echoing the fear that had consumed her. "I know that taking a life is a sin, but I can't bear the thought of bringing a child into this world and resenting it for the sins of its father."

"Shhh, Meerab. Calm down," Zara continued, her tone reassuring, "I think you should keep the baby."

Murtasim and Meerab exchanged surprised glances. Zara's words seemed to hang in the air, unexpected and perplexing.

"Murtasim, you told me that Meerab was abducted one month before?" Zara asked, her eyes locking onto his.

"Yeah," he confirmed, still bewildered by the direction of the conversation.

"Her results are showing that she is six weeks pregnant." Zara's smile widened as she delivered her bombshell revelation, "Which means the baby is yours. Congratulations."

The room seemed to hold its breath for a moment. Relief washed over Murtasim's face as he processed Zara's words. He looked at his wife.

Meerab's tears took on a different shade, a mix of emotions that included astonishment, relief, and a spark of hope. The weight of uncertainty about the baby's paternity had been lifted.

Meerab's gaze met Murtasim's. She didn't know whether to cry or laugh. Murtasim couldn't contain his own emotions as he hugged her tightly. Tears welled up in his eyes, but there was a genuine smile on his lips.

"Congratulations," he mumbled softly against her ear.

Dr. Zara watched the couple's reactions with a smile of her own.

Despite Murtasim's relentless efforts to find Meerab and the fact that she was now safe in the hospital, the Khan family remained resolute in their belief that she had eloped with someone. They refused to visit her even after Maryam informed them about finding Meerab.

Maryam's arrival at her house was met with a tense atmosphere. She found everyone sitting in the living room, their faces etched with worry.

"What happened?" Maryam inquired, sensing the unease in the room.

"Maryam, it's good you're here. Haya has been missing since yesterday. We couldn't find her. Do you have any idea where she could be?" Anwar asked, concern furrowing his brow.

Maryam's frustration with her family's attitude boiled over, and she responded with a tinge of sarcasm, "No, Uncle. I have no idea where she could have gone. You see, even though you're her father, you have no clue that your daughter only opens her mouth to badmouth people, do you?"

"Maryam, tameez se baat karo apne chacha se," Salma scolded her daughter.

"Maa, agar aap ye tameez pahle hi Haya ko sikha deti to aaj Meerab ka ye haal nahi hota."

"What do you mean?" Shahnavaz asked, his confusion evident.

"Abba, it's because of Haya that Meerab is in the hospital today. You all think Meerab ran away with someone just because of some stupid CCTV footage. The truth is, Haya abducted Meerab with the help of Rohail." Maryam's revelation hung in the air, casting a shadow over the room.

"Ye nahi ho sakta. Meri beti aisi nahi kar sakti," Anwar protested, unable to believe the accusation against his daughter.

"Are you sure, chachu? This is the same Haya who pushed Meerab down the stairs when we were children.Maryam questioned, her tone carrying a hint of exasperation.

As Maryam was about to leave, Salma gently held her daughter's hand. Concern was evident in Salma's eyes as she spoke softly, "What did Murtasim do to Haya? At least Anwar deserves to know about his daughter."

Maryam took a deep breath, trying to find the right words to explain. "Maa, bhai ne kuch nahi kiya. We don't know where Haya is, only Allah knows. Maybe she has run away because of fear."

"How ... how is meerab doing?" Finally salma asked.

Maryam sensed her mother's concern and took a moment to respond, her voice soft and reassuring, "Meerab is stable now, Maa. She's in the hospital, and the doctor says she'll be able to come home soon. Bhai is with her, taking care of her."

As Maryam walked into Murtasim and Meerab's room to gather their things, she couldn't help but contemplate whether it was the right time to share the news of Meerab's pregnancy with her parents. The tension in the house was already high with Haya's disappearance, and dropping such a bombshell might add to the chaos.

She carefully selected the clothes and belongings, her thoughts torn between wanting to keep the pregnancy a secret for a while longer and believing that her parents deserved to know. Ultimately, she decided to discuss it with Murtasim and Meerab first before making a decision. After all, it was their choice whether to reveal this significant development to the family.

Salma's concern about what the relatives might say weighed heavily on her mind. She knew that their family's reputation in the eyes of the community could be at stake. It was a delicate situation, with Meerab returning after her disappearance and Haya's sudden disappearance coinciding.