59; deaths doorstep

Just to clarify; it's the fresh gold in Bellas immortal eyes that really hits home for Elias.

"We do look like twins now," she hums, fake seriously, her head resting against his shoulder as they sit on the steps of the porch. They're not alone, not with this many vampires around, but they like to pretend that their conversation is to their ears only.

The snow is falling from the sky, thick and fast, the sight of it lodging a ball of emotions in Eli's throat. Past his horror at seeing the snow stick to the ground, there is a rage so old that he's sure it was there the day he was born. It's in that rage he's tempted to burn everything to a crisp, erase the snow and every bit of cold from this town so Alice's predictions can't ring true.

But he can't do that, so the snow continues to fall, the Volturi continue their journey to Forks, the people around them continue the last of their goodbyes to each other and their stories of this life. Bella's head doesn't move from his shoulder, her eyes are golden and vivid in life; they are all alive, in this moment.

If only I could speed time up, to see how this could end.

Elis eyes slip closed as a ghost of Jasper's voice, a memory, supplies back, if only I could slow time down.

Alas, Jasper wasn't here and Eli's gift would not work like that, though without a doubt he would trade it all for the faintest idea that this wouldn't end in death. But again, that was not his gift- no one could tell if someone was going to die.

Elias blinks, once, twice, the thought building and wrecking every other thing his brain develops. He stiffens, which is felt by Bella and how she's resting on him- she moves back, eyeing him with care, "Elias-"

"-come with me," he hisses, up on his feet instantly, pulling her up too. With a second thought, he turns his head back to the house, calling out a quick, "we'll be back soon, don't worry!"

"Where are you going?" Esmes voice is soft and concerned from inside, within a moment she's appearing at the back door to survey her children. Elias pauses long enough to give her a smile that's borderline manic, his hand reaching blindly and holding onto Bella's, who seems confused but ready to follow.

"I gotta do something, it won't take more than two hours, maybe. It's not even dangerous-" for us, at least, "We'll be back soon!" He calls, flashing a dimpled smile to relax her before he starts running, Bella in sync with him.

The woods is a sight to behold, the snow a marvellous glowing thing with his enhanced eyes- each snowflake is unique as it floats down. Even the scent is crisp in his lungs, refreshing to breathe in- or rather it is now that they're running and his idea causes a thorned rose of hope to blossom in his chest.

"What's happening?" Bella calls out once Elias has slowed their run into a pause, both of them hiding on the edge of the forest before it turns into a street. From here, she can tell there's only one person around them- the heartbeats heavy in her ears.

Elias grins at her, "If you could change your gift, what would it be?"

She frowns, finding the question odd but used to his slightly odd way of thinking- it's in their weirdness that they usually get shit done. "Right now? Something even more defensive, so I could protect people. Or if that wasn't possible, the power to see if Arden would be okay."