Chapter 27 (Rewritten)

╔══                              ≪ °❈° ≫                                ══╗

It was raining, an environment that Cross had learned to familiarize himself with over his numerous jobs. The weather was but a mere nuisance to him, nothing that would scare him away. He could live with it, no matter how much he despised the feeling of the water seeping through his clothes and chilling his bones.

Cross was positioned on top of a building, onlooking his next target. They were currently in the safety of their home, making no particular effort to occupy their time other than pacing around their room. They had been at that task for about an hour, Cross carefully watching as every second ticked by. He was patiently waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

This target of his happened to be yet another failed experiment that Dr. X felt the need to exterminate. In fact, Cross' last five jobs had all been of the same accord. He wished he would be tasked with the important jobs, he was more than capable of carrying them out. Yet, for some reason, he was always treated like the pest control.

He doesn't know how many times he would have to do these stupid jobs in order to prove himself. For goodness sakes, he was sixteen and already had proven himself more worthy of an assassin than trainees twice his age. He had the record to prove it!

He hated being treated like this, like something replaceable. He had thought that maybe, after all this time, Dr. X would've seen a little more in him.

Cross very quietly sighed, once again putting himself on guard. It was reaching the late hours of the night, prime time for him to finally make a move. His target was making that a bit complicated, though, as they had not gone to sleep yet.

It wouldn't be a problem if they didn't, he could very easily work around that. It was just more of a inconvenience than anything. He'd rather not make things harder than it had to be.

Somewhere off in the distance church bells began to ring, marking the hour. Cross listened intently as he counted the chimes. The bell sounded slow and melodically as it finally rang it's last tone at the count of twelve.

Within a short second, Cross had appeared in the living room of what seemed to be an apartment.

The lights had been turn out, signaling that his target had finally decided to go to bed. Cross smiled a little on triumph, knowing his job had only gotten easier. He stepped slow and light trough the apartment until he came to an open doorway.

Cross peered through, discerning that the room happened to be the bedroom. He walked in, summoning a sharp tipped bone in the process. As Cross approached the end of the bed, he took notice of something rather peculiar.

The target he had been watching all day, for hours on end, was not the one he had been tasked to kill. He memorized all the faces from the files he had been shown, and this person was not one of them. He had been told to take out someone in this household, and he realized that it was not the minimum wage single mom scraping by, penny by penny; it was the child snuggled up, sleeping next to her.

Cross let the bone in his hand dissipate. That couldn't be right, this child couldn't have been the one Dr. X had marked as a 'priority case'. They didn't even look to be more than ten.