Chapter 10- diligence

Dawn had cracked, with slivers of sunlight peeking through gaps in the canopy.

Upon reaching the hut, he slowed down and breathed deeply a few times. He had just won some civility from her and didn't want to push her back into a shell.

He entered the hut quietly and she turned from the sewing equipment, giving him a nod.

How was he going to fix this?
-----------------------------------
Nandini was almost disappointed to not see him when she awoke.  She was growing used to his caring nature and loving smiles. “He probably felt guilt over my condition and stayed longer than planned” she mused.

As she hadn't yet regained her mobility, she tidied her appearance, chanted her morning prayers and decided to sew and knit.

She’d always think to beautify some of her simpler clothes but it seemed unnecessary for one living alone. Not to mention the dozen other tasks she did daily!

So when the door finally opened to reveal Aditha, Nandini was pleasantly surprised. “Don't grin like a lovelorn girl, he may think you're throwing yourself at him” she chided herself and quickly responded with a small nod.

He sat next to her and observed her work. “Truly beautiful” he commended. He offered to carry her to the stream to perform her ablutions.

Nandini’s solitary nature wouldn't let her accept such an offer normally. But she was very aware of her pain with every turn of her body. She had to bathe and was out of options.

Aditha helped her bundle some clean clothes and other necessities.
He lifted her onto his arms, ensuring she was comfortably perched before walking out. Neither of them knew, but their minds were at a similar place.

Nandini was horrified at the feelings that developed in her belly. If being held in his arms as a youth induced butterflies, then this was no less than a storm. His shoulders, already strong from training at 15, had grown much wider. She couldn’t help but burrow into his chest, her body craved the affection and safety that only he could seem to provide.

Aditha prayed fervently that his touch wouldn’t make her uncomfortable. “ She’s injured and I’m only trying to ease her life”, he weakly convinced himself.
He could feel her melt into his arms with each step and felt her supple form against the expanse of his chest. He’d held her as a youth, even the merest touch granting him joy, but nothing compared to the raw attraction now.

He found a heavy boulder near the stream and seated her on it. Neither party wished to move, so it took a few moments longer.  Aditha promptly turned and walked away to grant her privacy.
Nandini used her seat as support and slowly entered the waters. The bubbling cool ripples soothed her muscles and washed her sweat away. She lost herself in the calming sensation, absorbing the forest sounds.

She opened her eyes after a while, intending to end her bath, only to realise that her clean clothes remained with a certain warrior prince.
She mentally cursed and began yelling “ is someone there? Are you still there”… Only a few seconds passed but she grew desperate “ilavarase?..where are you?” she became agitated due to her lack of fabric.
After a deep breath “Aditha… come out this instant” and said imp appeared racing.

“Calm yourself! I stood quite far to ensure your privacy… I set off after your very first call but you just don’t stop, do you? Your lack of faith hurts me, my lady” he teased.

Nandini was quite abashed by her behaviour “Pardon me. I just realised my clean saree is with you”she said, reaching out as she remained submerged.

“That much is obvious” he said, leaning forward to pass on said saree, when something zipped pass him.
A few errant squirrels decided they’d strayed enough and their desperation to return home caused the pebbles to slide.

The slippery pebbles threatened the steady feet resting on them, ending with both the pebbles and the prince falling into the stream- marked by loud screams.

favcolourvibgiorEmby00897Nature_WritesNiranjanaPradeepPodicutirSapphireBlueMoon09thelekhikawritesVibishaLakshman