8

rue's narration
there wasn't a lot of customers in the shop that day. but one person that nalani hated walked in. nate jacobs. she heard about what nate did to maddy on the down low. he may have cared for her, but abused her, and abuse is not care. but maddy couldn't see through it, all she could see was the man that loved her to the point he would kill for her.

"hey lani." nate said walking into the shop.
"you have no right to call me that. ion wanna hear it from you again." i said focused on my phone. i then looked to the corner of my eye, and saw maddy. maddy saw me as well, but ignored me. i was infuriated. i wasn't mad about her lying, i was mad that she was with nate. why would she say that she was going to spend the day by herself, then ends up being with nate. i then felt a hand on my back.
"are you okay?" it was ash.
"no not at all."
"do you wanna go to the back to talk about it?" i nodded. i slid off the counter and opened the freezer door. i sat down on the couch and put my face in my hands.
"you can talk to me. what's wrong?"
"i shouldn't be venting to you like this."
"it's fine. whether you decide to tell me or not." he said getting up.
"please stay. i can't stand to be alone right now." he sat back down and i put my head on his shoulder.
"i can't stand to see her with nate. he abuses her. but all she tells me is that he loves her. what, he loves her so much that one of her friends is calling my phone telling me about themself then bringing up nate because something happened again. it's tiring going back and forth with her just for my point to be shit. i just don't want to see her come home with tears running down her face and bruises all over her body."
"i can't say i feel you, but what i can say is that's fucked up. but it's not her fault."
"i know, but it's so confusing because i'm not the one going through it, but there are people that will care for her and treat her better. i just want the best for her."
i felt like i was gonna cry.
"do you want a hug?" he asked.
"yes please." i turned around and gave him a hug. he was such a cold hearted person, yet he was giving me a hug. it was the best thing ever. then the tears came down.
"thank you. thank you so much ash."
"you're welcome. i'm here for you."
i then put my head on his lap and tried to go to sleep. i couldn't stay awake anymore.

ash pov
she was beautiful, even in her sleep. i hated to see her sad, eyes red and swollen from crying. i put an extra jacket over her so she wouldn't get cold. and we just stayed like that.