10. Tiptoe Kiss

It's incredible, the workings of the human mind. Once upon a time, I swore I would never let myself feel anything for another man, not after Ryan.

Tossing and turning all night long, my mind keeps replaying the scenes of what unfolded between Cole Astor and me at the party.

I have to admit, I'm undeniably attracted to Cole Astor. He's like no man I've ever laid eyes on before. Each time I recall how he planted that kiss on my cheek, I can't help but blush and giggle, like a schoolgirl, just like now.

Just when I thought we would drive each other crazy while sharing the same roof, I never imagined I would find myself tangled in a web of feelings for Cole. I should have known better, considering the man is both dangerous and irresistible.

Visions from two nights ago flood my mind—his hands on my waist, our intertwined fingers, his admiring gaze, the kiss, and...

"You amaze me."

My eyes flutter shut, and I can't contain my excitement, so I cover my head with the blanket, letting out a muffled squeal of joy.

A knock on the door startles me, and my eyes widen.

It's Cole.

We haven't really spoken since the party. Well, truth be told, I've been avoiding him. Yes, I'll admit I'm attracted to him, but I have no intentions of taking things any further.

Firstly, my sister is still in the hospital receiving treatments. Secondly, he's my boss. And thirdly, I'm a complete mess.

I rush to the mirror, taking a quick glance at my reflection. I run my fingers through my hair and then examine my satin nightwear, stopping in my tracks.

Damn, it's way too short. He won't think I wore it on purpose to seduce him, will he?

What the hell, Treasure. Why would he even think that?

"You've lost your mind." I mutter to myself, eyeing my reflection in the mirror.

Another knock sounds from the door, and I respond immediately, "I'm coming."

I stand at the door, my hand on the doorknob. I tightly shut my eyes, wondering what awaits me.

"How may I help you?" I say as I swing the door open, a strange smile spreading across my face.

My gaze falls upon a shirtless Cole, clad only in black track pants.

Damn, this man...

A smirk dances on his lips as he runs his fingers through his hair. I swallow the unexpected lump that had formed in my throat.

His eyes take in my appearance from head to toe. He moves toward me slowly, and with each step, I instinctively take a step back.

Uh-oh.

He enters the room and kicks the door shut with his leg, the sudden action coinciding with a loud rumble of thunder that sends a shot of fear coursing through my body.

I used to be terrified of thunderstorms as a child, and honestly, even though the fear isn't as potent as it once was, it still lingers.

Cole rushes to me, his palms resting on either side of my face. My eyes tightly shut, and my body starts to tremble.

"Hey, look at me." he says urgently, his voice brimming with concern.

I do as he says, gradually opening my eyes. I see a mixture of concern, care, and fear in his eyes. His face is just inches away from mine.

My heart beats faster.

"I'm here. You're safe." he says calmly, gently stroking my face.

I lean into his touch, shutting my eyes again to fully embrace the sensation of his comforting caress.