8. Party Drama

Growing up, I never had the chance to experience a stable childhood. I always had to take risks... put everything on the line: my youth, my happiness, my true feelings. I gambled it all just to survive.

I never had a mother to stroke my hair and assure me that everything would be okay. Frankly, I have a lot of healing to do. No one taught me how to heal, how to cope with my pain. No wonder I'm broken.

Everything feels so distant now. After all I've been through, it makes me wonder why everything seems to go wrong. Why is life so tough? Does anyone have an answer to that?

Will I ever find my happy ending?

"And we're all patched up, little guy." I say with a smile, giving the boy a pat on the head.

He giggles, revealing a missing front tooth, which brings an even bigger smile to my face.

"Thank you, Miss Miller." he says in his tiny voice.

"You're very welcome." I reply, grinning.

"I'm going to marry you when I'm as big as you. You're as pretty as my mommy." he blushes.

I gasp, bursting into laughter. He's just too adorable.

"Well, thank you, young sir. I'm sure you'll grow up to be a handsome young man yourself." I say, running my fingers through his hair.

He blushes, giving me a shy hug to hide his face. It warms my heart, and a broad smile spreads across my face.

He pulls away, quickly planting a peck on my right cheek before darting off to the playground.

I can't stop smiling. I don't even notice the shadow of the man standing behind me.

He clears his throat, snapping me back to reality. I tuck the loose strands of my hair behind my ear, standing up to face Cole.

His handsome face glows in the sunlight, causing my heart to skip a beat. It's been four months since I started working at his resort, still when I see him I realize more and more just how extremely good looking he is.

My goodness, this man...

"How's working at the resort going?" he asks.

He does this every month. He makes sure to ask me the same question. In a way I'm quite used to it and I give him the same answer each time the question comes up.

I clear my throat, answering with a smile. "Good. Everything's going smoothly."

He scans my face as if trying to read my mind.

Finally, he says, "Alright then."

He turns around to leave, and I can't help but scoff. What was that about?

He stops abruptly, turning back around.

"There's a party tonight. Everyone will be there. Your dress has been delivered to your room. Don't be late, Miss Miller, 8 pm sharp." he informs me.

Before I can respond, he turns around and walks away.

The day flies by in a blur. Before I know it, night has fallen. I pace around my room, staring at the shiny silver dress spread out on my bed.

Do I really want to go to this party? I'm not the best at socializing. I don't even enjoy being around people.

I pause for a moment, then walk over to the bed and pick up the elegant dress. It's a long strapless silver sequin dress, with a high slit that stops mid-thigh.

I hold the dress up in front of me, examining my reflection in the mirror. A glint of excitement flickers in my eyes.

The large doors open, and I take a moment to absorb the music and the sight of people dressed in their finest before stepping inside.

With each step, I feel the gaze of every stranger in the room on me. The dress hugs my body perfectly, and I must admit, the bold red lip gives me a boost of confidence. I feel my deep side-parted hairstyle bounce with each stride, the sound of my silver heels clicking on the floor.

Somehow, with each step, my confidence grows, and a triumphant smile appears on my face, erasing any doubt I had when the doors first opened.

I have to admit, I look too good to be the usual melancholic girl I've always been.

I feel like I've stepped into a fairy tale, not as the typical maid in this story, but as the princess herself. The carefree princess that everyone envies.

It's a good feeling. I've never felt like this before.

How have I been living my life?

Suddenly, gasps surround me, and the feeling of colliding with someone snaps me out of my reverie.

I come to a sudden halt, slowly turning my head to see drinks spilled on an expensive-looking dress. My eyes widen, and I raise my gaze to meet the gaze of a beautiful woman wearing a scowl and an expression of disgust.

Damn, I did that. The multicolored drinks now staining her dress... I did that.

The attendant, who seems to be around the same age as me, looks pale, holding a tray full of drinks.

Immediately, she drops to her knees, begging for forgiveness.

"I'm so sorry, Miss Pliers. I didn't do it on purpose. It's all her fault for bumping into me." she cries, pointing an accusing finger at me.

Suddenly, I feel weak, unable to speak or move. A night of excitement has turned into a nightmare in an instant.

The beautiful woman finally speaks, causing me to raise my head.

"Stand up." she orders the attendant.

The young lady quickly rises to her feet, trembling.

What kind of power does this woman possess to make her tremble like that?

A chill runs down my spine.

As soon as she slaps the attendant across the cheek, I gasp.

What the hell?

The attendant cries, cradling her cheek.

The woman with the ruined dress grabs a napkin, wiping her hands clean.

Her eyes meet mine, and she closes the short distance between us.

"Who are you?" she demands.

Out of anger, embarrassment, and a mix of indescribable emotions, I shut my eyes tight.

"I'm so sorry for spilling drinks on you. It was an accident." I mutter.

"How. Dare. You?" she raises her voice.

"Who do you think you are, ruining my dress?"

"Like I said, I apologize for your dress," I reply.

She scoffs, and my anger intensifies.

"But that doesn't give you the right to slap the lady. She didn't do anything wrong. I'm the one who ruined your dress." I tell her.

She scoffs loudly, a horrified expression on her face.

She raises her hand, and I swear she's about to slap me across the face.

Instinctively, I grab her hand before it can make contact.

"What. The. Hell. Are. You. Trying. To. Do?" I say each word through gritted teeth.

"Hit me?"

"Let go of my hand this instant." she yells.

Anger consumes me, and I don't even hear the footsteps approaching from behind.

Cole appears, looking incredibly handsome in a dark blue suit, his hair perfectly styled, and his scent intoxicating.

This man...

He forcefully pulls the angry woman's hand away from mine. He looks at me, his eyes filled with anger. Then, he pulls me to his side, his arm wrapped around my waist. I'm left speechless, and his gaze remains fixed on mine.

Finally, he turns to the angry woman, and his signature smirk returns to his face.

"You're looking as colorful as ever, Cindy Pliers." he says.