Chapter 2: Picnic

Hours later, my friend and I were strolling through a local park. We had decided, though the decision was mostly Clerval's doing, to make our lovely stroll into a picnic. Together, Henry and I prepared our sandwiches and packed them neatly into a wicker basket for transportation. The simple act of preparing our lunch with my dear friend was enough to lift my spirits tenfold.

The location of our wonderful picnic was simply the most stunning bit of nature I had ever laid eyes upon. The park was filled to the brim with gorgeous, blooming trees and flowers. It seemed as if every color in the rainbow was present in nature's form. My dear friend insisted that the vibrant hues of nature were a most perfect contrast to the dreariness of my life's current state.

We strolled along a path, side-by-side until coming upon a perfect location. The spot was shaded by trees and laid close to a pond, where mother ducks and their ducklings swam in endless circles. Henry was quick to lay down a soft blanket we had brought onto the bright green grass. As I took my seat next to my dearest friend, I could not resist the temptation to become distracted by the pure beauty of the nature around me. Though I normally wasn't one to feel poetically about nature- that was certainly Henry's job -I still felt as if simply being in a location such as this had an intensely medicinal quality.

I had, admittedly, gotten quite distracted as I watched the waterfowl swimming around in the pond. Only was my distraction lifted by a faint tap on my shoulder, given to me by my dearest Clerval. Looking upon him revealed to me his freckled face, cheeks stretched out from his grin. Henry had opened the picnic basket, and had placed our little sandwiches on plates atop of the blanket. In his sun-kissed hand, Henry held a piece of bread from one of his own sandwiches. He waved it in front of me as if it were a flag. The eagerness his expression held both piqued my curiosity and brought a warm feeling over my cheeks.

"Victor," Clerval's smooth voice rang out, the grin his face bore only becoming wider and more excited, "The ducks look especially hungry, do they not? Would you like to help me feed them?" Already, he was tearing the piece of bread in half. Although my response had not yet been spoken, Henry handed the piece of soft, white bread to me. Our hands brushed together as the food passed between us; and although my friend and I had exchanged touches numerous times, the light brush of Clerval's skin against my own sent an odd shiver through me like I had never experienced.

I adjusted my glasses before responding. "It seems, Henry, that you have already made the decision for me," I replied, my gaze briefly looking back to the bread I held.

"It does seem that way, does it not? The decision, however, is still yours. Though, Victor,
I do not think it is an opportunity you will want to give up." The next moment, Henry had turned towards the water, and he began to throw crumbs of bread into the pond. The ducks, of course, made quick work of the food, swimming close to the crumbs and gobbling them up within moments.

My own bread was nearly completely forgotten as I watched Henry feeding the waterfowl. He seemed so handsome in this moment, more handsome than he normally was. And, unlike myself, Henry always radiated an air of joy and excitement, as if my dear friend himself were made up of the warmest sunshine. Whilst I had gotten distracted watching his display, Henry had completely used up his bread. He looked upon me with a tilted head and expression of curiosity.
"Are you not going to feed them, then? They do seem to enjoy it."

As Henry spoke, I was thrown out of the daze-like state he had put me into. Lifting the half-slice of bread into the air with a weak hand, I responded with a nod of my head. "Yes, certainly. Apologies," I met him with a smile, a smile that for once did not feel artificial, and turned my sights toward the pond. My fingers began to tear small chunks off of the piece of bread, and soon I, too, was feeding the gorgeous ducks.

-

Much to Henry's delight- at least, it seemed -I threw crumbs of bread to the waterfowl until I no longer had even the smallest crumb left. As soon as I had finished the task assigned to me by my dearest Clerval, we'd decided to begin eating.
The sandwiches we - or rather, Henry - had packed were filled with cucumbers and cream cheese, making for a most delightful and refreshing afternoon lunch. Along with the sandwiches, we had brought each a bottle of a tangy, yet sweet lemonade. Even as I consumed my meal, I was distracted both by Henry and the ducks that swam in the pond.

Just as I presumed our meal had come to a close, Henry reached into the picnic basket. "My friend, I had nearly forgotten!" He exclaimed as his hand gripped ahold of something in the wicker basket. An expression of excitement, almost pride, overtook him. "Because your spirits are so dampened today, I had the thought that a sweet pastry may cheer you up!" Henry brought out something wrapped in a towel. As I leaned forward to watch my friend unveil its contents, Henry unwrapped the towel, revealing a beautifully golden fruit turnover-pastry.

There had been, in my life, only select rare occasions when I would allow myself to have a treat such as this. And though my spirits had already been lifted only by Clerval's mere presence, I certainly would not turn an opportunity such as this one down. Reaching out, I cusped the dessert in my hands and placed it onto my plate. "Oh, dearest Henry..." My voice shocked me, shaking and full of wonder, "... thank you! Sometimes I doubt that I would ever feel a smidge of happiness if not for you." The genuine smile that I had before returned to my face, though larger this time.
Picking up the turnover once more, I gently tore it in half and handed one to my friend. The scent of the fruit filling inside wafted into the air. "We must share it, Henry. I hardly have knowledge on how to be poetic, however it is a simple fact in my eyes that you are as sweet as this dessert."

The smile that became present on Clerval's face was the brightest, most joyful smile I had ever seen him bear. Although I can never be quite sure, I believe I even heard some kind of joyous squeak come out of him. Henry reached out to me, taking hold of the pastry half. He began to eat, as did I.