Chapter Eight

"Have you entirely lost your senses?" Winifred whispered aloud in shock, "What madness do you speak of? Antartica? Sailing around the world? You're ridiculous!"

Eustice eased back against the seat they shared, crossing his arms as if silently blocking himself from her verbal spars.

"It's not madness at all. Not in the least. It could very well be the most educational and enlightening experience of your little pampered, sheltered life, Winifred."

"My pampered-how dare you!" She sputtered in baffled insult, her eyes wide and her cheeks flush in anger. Eustice stole a half-glance at her before turning his gaze away to the carriage window and passing hills outside.

"Indeed. How dare I tell you the truth. Must be devastating."

Winifred's mouth closed into a tight, thin-lipped line from his blatant sarcasm. Who the devil did he think he was?! Now everything made sense. No wonder the man never attended any kind of social functions. He was a veritable looney. What kind of sod forced his bride on a circumnavigation voyage around the entire bloody world?!

"I'm not going." She announced, crossing her arms inside the carriage, "You can't make me."

His brow arched subtly before he emitted a dry chuckle.

"Fighting this will do you no good." He chided softly, his startling blue gaze turning to face her, "You are my wife and wherever I go, you go."

"Why not just leave me to attend a country home or London townhouse while you sail your little self around from sea to bloody sea?! Any other gentleman would do the same! Whyever do you need me around for?! I doubt I will hardly do you any good aboard a ship."

"Rubbish. This way we will have all the time in the world to get to know one another." He replied nonchalantly, a sardonic smile lifting at the corner of his mouth, "Just imagine it. You and I on our own, not a soul else in the world 'cept for God's enchanting creatures beneath the waves and in the sky."

Winifred paled in dawning realization.

Oh no...no, no, no.

"Only...y-you and I?" She sputtered, "What about a ship crew? A captain? A first mate?"

Eustice's smile broadened then, an unbidden grin of amusement. His eyes held a spark within those electric pools of blue as if he were silently laughing at her.

"Go to sleep, Winifred. 'Tis a long journey back to London and you'll need all the rest you can get." He answered, ignoring her question.

Winifred opened her mouth, adamant on getting answers, however the odious man remained silent against her onslaught of questions until finally, she was forced to give up and try her best to find some sort of rest.

~•~

The London docks were crowded, boisterous and filled with a bevy of unpleasant smells mingled with the overall scent of salt. Seagulls flew overhead while ships of all sizes and proportions littered the bay in a riotous amount. Merchant, military and even private vessels alike were cramped into the dingy, soot-covered area, clustered so close together, Winifred marveled how any of them could even set sail amongst the chaos.

The carriage continued down the cobbled street alongside the wooden docks, weaving through throngs of people, carts and fish monger stands. Upon its wheels halting at the very end of the docks, Winifred frowned and cast her eyes out the window.

"Where is your ship, Lord Fenwick? Or were you planning on shipping us off in a couple of barrels?"

Eustice gave her a withering stare before reaching around her to open the door. After stepping down, he turned and offered his hand to her which she promptly ignored as she gathered her skirts about herself and dismounted onto the dock as if stepping down into a ballroom.