chapter seven

Chapter Seven. 

For the remainder of Wednesday afternoon, I sit on a chair and observe as Laiken continues to entertain the children. As I watch Laiken playing with the kids, I decide that there aren't many people in this world like Laiken Kerrivan.

He's an astonishing young man, and it's an absolute honor to know him. 

After Laiken carefully places a little girl back on her feet, she spots me sitting against the wall and sprints toward me. She stands before me with a large smile beaming across her face petite face.

"Can I sit on your lap?" she begs.

"Of course!" I say, happily as I lift the tiny girl. 

I notice Laiken glancing toward us through the corner of his eye. A little grin forms forms on the edge of his lips before he turns back towards the line of children waiting to be thrown into the air. 

"You're really pretty!" She sticks her little hand into my wavy hair and runs her fingers throughout it. 

"Thank you!" I grin. "But you know what? You're gorgeous!"

"Really?" A massive smile breaks across her face and her eyes glisten. 

"Definitely!" I respond as I stare into her pretty eyes. 

I watch her entire face glow in happiness. Before she jumps down from my lap, she leans over and presses her lips to my cheek. I look over to Laiken who isn't looking our way, but I know that he's listening. A little boy walks up to Laiken and pulls on the sleeve of his sweater, attempting to get his attention. Laiken bends down so he's face to face with the small child. 

"Do you think Liberty's pretty?" the boy asks. 

I feel my heart jump at the question, and my eyes quickly skips to Laiken's face. The kids break into giggles at the silly question, but they continue to wait for his response. I hear a soft chuckle escape from Laiken's mouth as he continues to look at the boy intently. He rotates his head slightly, turning his view towards me and locking our eyes. 

"Liberty's beautiful," Laiken says very softly. 

The kids break into laughter. I hang my head and look at the ground to hide my red cheeks. I fight back a little smile, but nonetheless, I know it's visible. I take a quick peek towards Laiken and find him continuing to watch me with a little smirk.

After he says goodbye and gives each child a warm hug, we make our way back to his vehicle. Once we get into the car, Laiken turns towards me. 

"Those children are so sick, but they always find something to smile about," Laiken says. "They're incredible."

"What you do for them is amazing," I reply. "They really love you."