chapter fourteen

Chapter Fourteen. 

After that heartbreaking night, I promise myself that I'll continue life as usual, refusing to allow myself to slip back into a state of despair, although, I'm unaware of the extremely difficult task it becomes, and I struggle greatly with.

When my mother wakes me on Monday morning, she is surprised to find me with red eyes and a heavy heart. I argue with her as she orders for me to prepare for school, for all I can imagine is seeing Laiken and all of his friends in the hallway, laughing and cracking jokes about me, the worthless girl.

When my mother hears my shaky voice responding to her argues, she sighs and decides to let me stay home for the day. I whisper a thank you before grabbing the blankets and ripping them over my head.

"A bad day," I hear my mother whisper to my father as she exits my room.

"She hasn't had one of those in months," my father comments, "Hopefully it's just a one day thing."

I shove my face into my pillow and hold the blankets close against my body. I stay there for the remainder of the day, feeling too miserable to even move. As much as I try to drown out my thoughts, his last words continue to replay in my head.

"Because you're just not worth it." 

I have to fight back tears as I come to the conclusion that I was just not good enough for Laiken. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised, but I truly believed he was different than anyone I had ever come across.  

As the end of the day approaches, Charity appears at my front door with the notes I had missed in history class. My mother takes them and kindly thanks her, but she doesn't allow Charity to come visit me, for my mother says I'm too ill for visitors.

The following day, I attempt to stay home from school once again, but my mother nearly forces me from the bed, threatening to call a therapist. I tremble in fear as she drives me towards the school, feeling overly nervous and frightened of facing Laiken.

Upon entering the school, I avoid locating my friends, but I instead lean against my locker and wait impatiently for the bell. Every time I spot one of Laiken's friends, I dig my head into my locker in effort to avoid the chances of Laiken being nearby.

"You're just not worth it."  His voice never stops ringing in my ears.

When the bell finally rings and homeroom commences, I sit in my usual desk and pull the hood of my sweater over my head, hoping that it'll prevent anyone from speaking to me. My eyes follow Charity as she enters the classroom. Her eyes land on me, causing my view to instantaneously transfer towards the ground.

"Hey," she greets as she sits behind me.

Instead of answering, my body sinks lower in my desk. I cross my arms over my chest and keep my head lowered. It's not that I'm intentionally ignoring Charity; I just don't have anything to say to her.

"Is everything alright?" Charity questions as she leans forward in her desk.