chapter eighteen part 2

early update! Happy national best friend day!

chapter eighteen continued...

Liberty's POV

The feeling of the frosty water splashing against my feet sends an icy chill throughout my body. However, the sound of the waves crashing against the shore brings a sense of salvation to my current state of isolation. I close my eyes and allow my imagination to carry me away from this reality. Tears softly fall down my cheeks at the beautiful memories engraved within my mind, for I envision myself standing on the hill over the lake, throwing a baseball across the body of water towards Alex.

My body abruptly jumps up at the noise of a nearby car. I whip my head around, wondering who else could be here at this time of night. I peer through the darkness, but I'm unable to determine the visitor due to the blackness of the night.

I hear the sound of a car door open and then slam shut. I spot the silhouette of a body approaching the wharf which I sit upon, causing an uneasiness and caution to grow within me. I wrap my arms around my frosty body, shielding myself from the unknown. As the stranger draws closer, my eyes are able to adjust, and I'm suddenly able to distinguish the hooded male.

As he steps into my view, my heart feels as if it skips a beat. I stare up at him, unable to make a single noise. He halts just a few inches away, staring down at me with his dazzling brown eyes. Regardless of the hood that covers the top of his head, he is still entirely alluring as usual. He shoves his hands into the pockets of his dark jeans before opening his mouth to speak.

"I thought I'd find you here," Laiken says with a gentle voice.

"Just leave me alone," I whisper, refusing to further humiliate myself.

"You are magnificently talented, Liberty," Laiken says.

I shake my head, refusing to believe his words.

"Don't be kind towards me," I mutter through clenched teeth.

"Why wouldn't I?" Laiken questions, his eyebrows rising in confusion.

Although we are both fully aware of the reasoning, I answer him anyways.

"I don't deserve it," I reply. "I was so cruel towards you."

Laiken nods his head as if he had expected that very answer. He looks downwards at me for a few moments before allowing his shoulders to carelessly shrug.

"I forgive you," he announces.

I instantly shake my head. "No," I mumble.

"I do," he says.

"I don't want you to," I argue.

Laiken lowers himself to sit beside me on the edge of the wharf. He shifts his body so our bodies are touching against one another. We both sit forward, staring across the lake.

"I forgive you, Liberty," he repeats. "But now you need to forgive yourself."

I rotate my head to look at him, admiring the features on his face as he gazes at the scenery before him. I feel a small teardrop fall down my cheek, but I quickly brush it away.

"Laiken," I whisper.

"Yes?"

"You've made my life better," I inform him.

I watch as his mouth curves into a small smile. He smirks before turning his head to look over at me.

"Would you like to know something?" he asks.

I nod my head, gesturing that I do.

"Your absence from my life within the past month has caused me to realize something, but I never fully believed it until tonight." he says.

His arm moves towards me, reaching for my own. He slips his soft hand onto mine, causing my heart to flutter in response. He interlaces our fingers together, gripping gently onto my hand.

"I need you in my life," he whispers. "And I'm tired of pushing you away."

I feel a smile grow across my face, beaming with happiness, and he too allows his mouth to curve into a small smile.

"I don't want to hurt you," he says. "But it's your life and it's your decision."

Without letting him continue, I throw myself at him, pulling him into a warm hug. My hands wrap around his neck as my face buries into his chest. He chuckles as his strong arms wrap around my waist.

"Let's get you home," Laiken suggest once our embrace has ended.

Laiken jumps to his feet and then reaches down, grabbing onto my hand and pulling me into a standing position. He doesn't lose grip of my hand, however, but he grips tighter onto it, dragging me closer beside him.

The sunset in the distance shines on Liken and I as we stroll down the beach, the cold sand digging between our toes with every step we take. Our hands are laced together, displaying our strong feelings to the world. Every now and again, Liken will wrap his arms around my waist, lifting me into the air and spinning me around in circle, both is laughing in amusement.

He drags me towards the ocean, forcing me to step into the water until it has reached my ankles. I ben down to stare into the ocean, hoping to find something interesting within it. I glance towards Laiken and suddenly, a smart plan develops in my head.

"Look at that!" I say, excitedly as I point to an object in the water.

Liken steps closer to me, bending down to a view that I'm gesturing towards. As his face grows closer to the water, I cup my hands into the ocean. At the perfect moment, I quickly lift my hands out of the ocean, carrying the water with me. I fling the water into the air, splashing Laiken directly in the face.

Without waiting for his reaction, I spin away from him and begin to race down the beach. I hear his voice call out my name before sprinting footsteps become audible. I glance over my shoulder to discover him darting down the beach after me. I attempt to run as speedily as possible, but the sand makes it nearly impossible to get away swiftly.

I hear him growing closer toward me until I feel his fingertips brushing against my back. I allow a playful scream to leave my mouth as his arms wrap around my waist, capturing me within his hold. He throws himself on top of me, sending both of us soaring towards the ground. We both crash into the sand which causes both of us to roar in laughter.

His body lays on top of mine, his face just inches away from my own. The smile on his face eventually fades away as the laughter dies down, but his eyes continue to stare into mine. His eyes glance at my lips before his head slowly moves towards me. Instead of feeling nervous and completely unprepared, excited butterflies dance in my stomach.

I allow my eyes to close as his lips brush across mine. He gently presses his lips against my own, sending a warm thrill through my whole body. He transfers his hand from the sand to gently rest along my jaw line. I then feel Laiken's mouth curve into a smile through the kiss which causes me to also break a grin. Liken slowly pulls back and gazes into my eyes.

"This is right," he whispers as he nods his head.

He then leans towards me, tenderly pressing his lips to mine once again. It only lasts briefly, but it couldn't have been more perfect.

He rolls his body off mine and sits in the sand, staring at the striking sunset that hangs in the sky, gently touching the tip of a far off mountain. I pull myself to sit beside him, resting my head against his shoulder. We both gaze at the scenery before us and admire the beautiful moment together, for all we know that they're may not be many left.