14: AGATHA

Tedros's coronation day started with Agatha and Sophie lumbering through the frosty undergrowth, lugging Sophie's three trunks of clothes and Agatha's small suitcase.

"–could just have packed one–"

"Oh, Aggie, didn't you read the invite? There's the main coronation, yes, but we're there for three more days! There'll be hunts, and dinners, and promenades, and tournaments–"

"I'd love to know why you think you're going to be invited to all of them," crabbed Agatha, yanking the trunk over a rock. Sophie had used magic on them to make them light, but it didn't make them small. "The only person who's going to have to go to every single thing is Tedros, unless you're planning on clubbing him over the head and taking his place."

"Well, don't tempt me, darling..."

They bashed through the nettles, breath steaming in the cold morning air, until they heard voices, and emerged into the clearing that had been the designated meeting point for the School party. Lesso and Dovey were already there, herding around a smattering of students emerging from all directions.

"Nevers over here," Lesso was shouting. "Flowerground rules have relaxed, but for now you'll still ride separately... they can't overwrite that bit of the enchantment quickly, apparently..."

Sophie sighed.

"Fine. I suppose I have to ride with... Hester, since Anadil and Dot are going with their families. Wish me health, both physically and mentally..."

Agatha didn't, since she felt Hester was potentially a much better Flowerground seating pal than any of the Evers, who would be desperately anxious. She surrendered the third trunk to Sophie and loped over to Dovey, who was wearing an immense travelling hat and furry cloak.

"Morning, dear!" beamed Dovey. "Had a good holiday?"

Agatha made a noncommittal yeehhh noise that she hoped passed muster. It didn't; Dovey raised her eyebrows and went back to her clipboard.

"Yes, well... we're just going to get into pairs, check everyone's here, and then we'll set off– got your luggage?"

Agatha feebly held up her slightly lacking suitcase.

"You said we could borrow clothes–"

"I know what I said, sweetpea, you didn't need to bring an entire modiste. Though clearly no one told Sophie..." Dovey took the case from her and propped it in the cart. "That's all sorted. Off you trot, go and find a partner!"

"Um– yeah."

Agatha, seized by the lingering panic of the child always picked last for teams at school, wandered a little way away and looked about anxiously. There were plenty of Nevers about, but most Evers had a noble family to accompany, since their families tended to survive long enough to become rich and important. The majority of the Evers here were not people she knew well; Tedros could always be relied upon to pop up like a mole out of a molehill and try to be her partner, but Tedros wasn't here, because he was about to be crowned...

Agatha worried her nailbeds, wondering if he was awake yet. He probably was. It was early, but he'd likely be prepped for hours before he left the palace–

"Morning!"

Agatha turned–

No, Tedros wasn't here, but his liege was.

"Hi Chaddick..." she said, hoping her relief wasn't too obvious.

Chaddick smiled and tossed an old battered leather bag onto the luggage cart, which clattered suspiciously loudly. He saw her stare: