Chapter 3

Severus was distraught by the news that Dumbledore gave him. He didn't understand why it would come to this. "What do you mean I need an assistant?" Albus gave Miss. Granger and myself a cheeky smile, "I do not need help with my work."

"I never said you did, Severus," Dumbledore popped another candy into his mouth. Severus rolled his eyes and looked at Miss Granger. She sat there in silence.

Hermione was stunned by what Dumbledore said. How could she not get the assistant position with Professor McGonagall?

"Another student got the position with Professor McGonagall, Miss Granger," Dumbledore said, "if that is what you were thinking."

"W-why," Hermione stuttered as she looked at Professor Snape. He looked as stunned as she did. "Shouldn't Professor Snape have someone from Slytherin helping him?"

"Exactly," Professor Snape interjected.

"This is my decision and I thought it would be best if Miss Granger took over as your assistant," Dumbledore said.

"But I am not good at potions," Hermione said.

"She's not lying," Professor Snape said, "she is great on paper but when it comes to making potions she is not great."

Hermione was hurt by his words, but he wasn't wrong.

"I do not care what either of you says," he paused, "this is my decision. Miss Granger, you will be in Professor Snape's office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at four in the afternoon. This will be perfect for you, Severus to teach Miss Granger how to make the potions and Miss. Granger will be able to grade tests for you. Now you both may leave."

Hermione stood up from the chair and walked closer to Professor Snape. They both made their way down the stairs.

"I will see you later for detention, Professor Snape," Hermione smiled at the potion master.

Severus didn't do much but nod at Miss. Grangers comment. He still didn't understand why Dumbledore assigned the insufferable know-it-all Gryffindor to him. Why couldn't he have done Draco instead? At least he was good at potions. Severus turned on his heel and walked towards the dungeons.

Hermione didn't know how she was going to deal with being Professor Snape's assistant. She only had potions three times a week and now she would be seeing him every day. Potions classes happened on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Fridays sounded awful, she would be getting double Professor Snape. How would she tell her friends? Making her way to her other classes she noticed she was more dazed than usual. Sure, she found him attractive but what if her attraction turned into a crush? How would she deal with having a crush on the second most hated Professor at Hogwarts? Professor Umbridge was the first.

After a long day of being Hermione, she made her way to the potions classroom. She knocked on the door and waited for him to answer. "Enter," he bellowed in her ears. She opened the door slightly and walked in. Professor Snape was sitting at his desk as usual and was writing aggressively. "Professor Snape?" Hermione said quietly.

Professor Snape sighed and looked up. "I would like you to clean out the cauldrons with no magic and then after you are done let me know."

Hermione nodded and made her way over to the dirty cauldrons. She hated the fact that she had to clean them. All because students were too lazy to do it themselves. Hermione brought over a cauldron to the table. "Sir," she said quietly. Professor Snape lifted his head and looked at the young Gryffindor. "What?" He snarled.

"Where do you want me to get the soap and water from?"

Professor Snape pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "Miss Granger," he sighed, "you are a fifth year you should know this."