Attack

Despite its high altitude, it never seemed to get very cold at the Western Air Temple. Leki had lived her entire life in this sheltered hall, but not once could she ever remember a day where she was freezing. Today was no different. The air had a soothing kind of warmth as she was in the eastern most wing of the temple in a large open air plaza of sorts that over looked the fog covered landscape that the temple occupied. She sat cross legged beside Yengi, for one reason or another, today she couldn't sit still.

She wouldn't describe herself as a fidgety child, but at the ripe age of seven years old she had yet to perfect the art of sitting perfectly still during meditation. She wanted to run about and play. But Yengi said it was something she had to learn, and Yengi was usually right so she didn't argue.

"Focus." Yengi said softly in that motherly tone she always used during such lessons. "Tell me what do you hear?"

One thing that Leki had learned long ago was that even something as simple as meditation was a chance Yengi used to teach. "I don't hear anything." Leki said just as softly. Looking up at her wise guardian.

With two grey eyes Yengi looked back at her. "That's because you don't know what to listen for." She said with a knowing smile. "Even in places where you think there is absolute silence you can still hear sounds, try again."

Leki looked forward again her eyes falling on a large stone statue of a Nomad woman carved into the adjacent rock face. The carvings eyes were closed and its left hand was was facing palm towards her. She remembered asking Yengi once who that statue was supposed to be, Yengi had said that it was meant to convey the likeness of Abess Lanahn, the Nomad who had founded and helped build the Western Air Temple three hundred years ago.

Leki was straining her ears at this point, trying to find anything for them to pick up on. Nomads weren't known for being overly loud so her selection of sounds was at an all time low. As the seconds ticked by Leki grew more and more disheartened. A gentl breeze washing over her that made her ears tickle. It hit her then like it had been right in front of her this entire time. "I can hear the wind."

Yengi nodded. "No matter where you go and no matter how silent you think it is. The wind is always there. We draw our strength from the wind and since the wind is everywhere this makes us the most dangerous benders on the planet."

Leki giggled. "Airbenders aren't dangerous Yengi."

"We aren't dangerous because we chose not to be, my darling Leki." Yengi replied. "If we wanted to we could take the very air out of another's lungs and they would be defenseless to stop it. We could summon a great wind that could destroy cities. That is why we live the way we do Leki, we live simple lives and we teach love and compassion because it helps us keep our power in check. But it also cripples us."

Leki tilted her head. "I don't understand."

"We cut ourselves off from the rest of the world not long after we left the Lion turtles." Yengi replied. "We practically ignore the world around us and it weakens us as a civilization. We think we are safe because we believe the only way to reach our temples is by sky bison. Yet someday that may not always be true. Someday we may find ourselves in the path of something we are not prepared to face. And our desire to be peaceful will not be able to stop us from becoming the targets of something...or someone who sees us at the enemy."

Leki only grew more confused. "Who would see us as the enemy?" She asked.

Yengi sighed softly now. "This I do not know child. But often in life things you think won't happen have a funny almost macabre way do eventually happen. We won't be safe up in the sky forever I'm afraid. Someday we may be forced to look not to the heavens but at the ground below."