chapter twenty-six

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐊

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐊. "This is your genius idea?" she asked with her arms crossed and looking at the pair who were sitting across from her desk. "This is why you requested a meeting?"

Nick nodded. "Yes."

"You want to make Agent Romanoff Pepper Pott's undercover secretary?" she repeated incredulously, still staring dumbfounded at the man. "The agent who works for SHIELD which I founded and my nephew still has no idea about its existence or my involvement in it?"

"Yes," Nick said again.

"Why?" Grace asked, leaning forward against her desk. "Why does Agent Romanoff have to go undercover? Is Pepper doing something illegal?"

Nick shook his head. "It's not Miss Potts we're watching," he replied and she furrowed her brows.

"Well, then why?" she asked again and both Nick and Natasha glanced at each other. Grace let out an annoyed breath. "Nick, if you want me to agree to this mission, you better start talking." Nick pursed his lips and she groaned. "Agent Romanoff..." she said, turning her attention to the redheaded agent. "Care to fill me in?"

"I would," she replied. "Normally, but I'm afraid neither of us can tell you. But believe us that our intention for this undercover work is good."

Grace sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "Fine," she said, half-heartedly. "I believe I'll see you at Tony's mansion... Natalie."

Natasha nodded and stood up, quickly leaving the room. Nick was just about to follow when Grace called out to him. "If this goes wrong in any way, Nick..."

He shook his head. "It won't."

She bit her bottom lip. "Is it time I tell him about SHIELD?"

"I think one way or another, he's gonna find out," Nick replied and she sighed. "But I think he'd rather hear it from you than any other way. I may not know a lot about your family dynamic, but I know enough to know that he thinks the world of you. The same way you felt about your brother." Grace's breath hitched in her chest. "It's your organization, Grace. You can tell whoever you want."

She nodded and he left the room without another word. Her eyes found the two photographs she kept on her desk; one of her and baby Tony and another of the newspaper clipping with her and Steve.

"Damn it..." she sighed, holding her head in her hands. "He's gonna hate me..."

Outside of Grace's office, Natasha was standing with Nick. "Don't you think she should know?" she asked with her arms crossed. "It's affecting her nephew."

"It's not our information to share," Nick replied sternly. "If it was up to me, I absolutely would have told her. But we can't."

"But—"

"Agent Romanoff," Nick said and she let out a breath. "You know we can't tell her. Now go prepare for your mission."

Natasha sighed. "Yes, sir."