Too Late

"Psst, Wanning," Xie Lian whispered to the boy next to him, "what's the answer to Question 5?"

Chu Wanning turned to narrow his eyes at Xie Lian. "You didn't complete your homework?"

Xie Lian scratched the back of his neck, "I did...it's just, I couldn't figure out the answer to this equation."

Shen Yuan on his left raised his eyebrows, "Lianlian, you're having trouble with homework? That's new."

Xie Lian shook his head. "It's way too complicated."

Chu Wanning leaned over and threw a glance at the notebook. "Hm, let's see...The quadratic function f(x) is given in three different forms:

f(x) = 3x² + 36x + 33,

f(x) = 3 (x + 1) ( x + 11),

f(x) = 3 (x + 6)² - 75.

Which form most easily allows us to find the vertex?" He read the question aloud, lost in thought for a while before explaining, "The vertex form of the function most easily allows us to find the vertex.
In general, for any quadratic function written in vertex form, f(x) = a (x - h)² + k, we can conclude that the vertex is the point (h, k). We can conclude that the vertex of the graph f(x) = 3 (x + 6)² - 75 is the point (-6, -75). See? It's not that hard."

"Ah, Wanning, you're a life saver!"

"Lianlian," Shen Yuan grinned, "A-Ning was your savior, now you be mine. Lend me your notebook please~"

Chu Wanning frowned at him. "You haven't done your homework?"

Shen Yuan, "...I fell asleep." He raised his hands in defense.

"A-lian, don't lend him your notebook."

"No, the teacher will be here in less than ten minutes! Lianlian, I need it, please!"

"No, you should learn to take responsibility,"

"Lianlian~ Please!"

Xie Lian, torn between the two, could only helplessly sigh.

In the end, he really couldn't resist the helpless pleads of his friend. He shot Chu Wanning an apologetic look and smiled.

"Next time I really won't help him,"

Chu Wanning sighed and leaned back.

Shen Yuan clapped his hands together and bowed to Xie Lian. "Thank you!!"

Chu Wanning and Xie Lian both helplessly shook their heads.

"How are you going to tutor a student with that attitude?"

"That's right!" Xie Lian exclaimed. "You mentioned something about tutoring a 1st year?"

"Mhm," Shen Yuan proudly puffed out his chest. "In fact, today is his first day studying with me."

"You start today? That's cool!" Xie Lian pondered for a moment, asking, "What's his name? Do we know him?"

"Do you two even know any 1st years apart from Mo Ran and Hua Cheng?"

Chu Wanning looked away and Xie Lian shrugged, laughing sheepishly.

"In fact, this kid is friends with the two." Shen Yuan said.

Xie Lian asked, "Oh, is it that boy with curly hair?"

"Hm, I've seen him hanging around the two quite often," Chu Wanning commented.

"Quite often?" Shen Yuan raised an eyebrow. "More like all the damn time."

"Oh, you could fall for him, then our trio would have a crush on their trio!" Xie Lian joked.