Writing in Plain Sight

~PROLOGUE~

     Getting out of bed is the hardest part. But somehow, I manage to flick my fuzzy socks out of the spotted bed sheet and stand up. 

     I throw on my robe, and head to the kitchen so I can make some coffee. Suddenly, I'm struck with the life-altering decision of Caramel, Cinnamon or French Vanilla coffee. All from Dunkin' Donuts. 

     After I finally decide on and brew the Cinnamon one, I sit on the couch and thank the heavens that it's Saturday, or else I never would have been able to get to work on time. 

     I work as an editor apprentice for HarperCollins Publishers, which may not sound like a big deal, but for someone who wants to become an author, it's huge. 

     It's kind of sad, though, a twenty-two year old woman being an apprentice, so she can try to move up the ladder. But I'll do whatever it takes to become a writer. 

     My cell rings, and I glance at the caller ID. Lilly. 

     "Lilly! Oh my gosh it's been forever!" I squeal as I answer the phone to my best friend back in California.

     "It's actually been three days since I last called, Em, it's just impossible without you here," she says sadly.

     "Listen, I'll visit as soon as I get a real job, I promise!" 

     She sighs. "Don't you think you're throwing yourself into all this? Jobs and everything."

     I sigh, too. She just wants to be a singer, something she doesn't have to work for. "I know, I know. Twenty-two is a bit young for a writer. But it's never to early to put your name out there."

     "Well, come back to California when you realize..." she trails off. "Never mind."

     "No, what? Tell me." I demand. 

     "You do realize how hard it is to get a book published, right?"

     "Yes, it's hard. I know." I say. "I've heard this sermon before." 

     "I just don't want you to get hurt," she says.

     "Why do all our conversations turn to this? It's, like, we got out of college and now you think you need to be all wise. I just want back the summer days filled with eating ice cream on the beach, lying on towels and not caring about sunburns." 

     "We could have that..."

     I finish her sentence for her. "...if I wasn't in New York."

     "Exactly. Come back," she pleads.

     "Lilly, you know I want to. You know I do."

     "But you can't," she says, knowing exactly where this goes. We've only had this conversation too many times.

     "You know I can't."

     "Well...sorry."

     "Sorry?"

     "Yeah," she says, sounding a bit distant.

     "I'm sorry, too." I say as I hang up.

     What just happened?

---

Hi. I don't really know what to put. This is the prologue...yay. I've never really written a prologue before, awkward. Sorry if it sucks. 

Well, yeah, bye! c:

~Scarlett xox