13

Clare emerged from the bathroom, a towel tied around her wet hair. She had slipped back into the t-shirt she’d had on previously after she had taken a shower, and it hung around her with a comfortable lightness. 

She padded down the little passage, pausing at the door of her bedroom. Her heart beat loudly in her chest as she stood still before the door. Simon was just behind this door, probably asleep on her bed. 

She didn’t want to know why the thought sent a thrill down her spine. 

Slowly, she reached for the knob handle of the door and twisted, pushing into the room…only to find that it was vacant. The clothes that had littered the floor before were no longer there.

He had left.

She stared blankly into the room, stunned at this development. He had…gone. Why hadn’t he said something before leaving? Sure, she had been in the bathroom, but still. He could have said something from the door before departing.

She remained still for another minute before she realized that her front door was most likely open.

Turing away, she hurried down the passage to the door and was grateful to find it unlocked. For it to have been locked would have meant there was someone in the house with her.

Still, to be safe, she did a sweep of the apartment before returning to her bedroom.

She spent the night tossing and turning, unable to find a position comfortable enough to fall asleep.

It didn’t help that every breath she took contained a lingering trace of his scent, that she had a fresh new memory of him to torment her – the feel of his tongue rasping around her nipple, his fingers probing into her, stoking the flame he had ignited to greater heights–

The sound of the alarm she had set going off jolted her awake. Drowsy, she groaned, cursing fluently beneath her breath. The incessant sound of the annoying shrills of tropical birds wouldn’t quit even as she willed it to stop. 

Finally she gave in and sat up, reaching for her phone on the bedside table squinting to look at the time. Surely it couldn’t be past five by now? The digital clock on her phone’s screen proved her wrong. It was just fifteen minutes to six. She had slept past her earlier alarms.

Cursing, she rushed out of the bed, leaving it rumpled instead of making it like she always did. It would just take more time than she had to spare.

She hurried to her bathroom, performed all her morning rituals hastily, then returned to her room to dress.

There she threw on the first appropriate clothing she found in her wardrobe, slipping on a pair of black rubber sandals before hastily sprinting out of her bedroom and leaving her apartment.  

It didn’t take her too long to get her place locked. In a few minutes she was in the café, an apron tied around her waist as she got to work preparing for the day. About thirty minutes later Suzie arrived, cheery and full of enthusiasm. 

“Good morning, Clare.” She greeted, her blue eyes glimmering brightly. “How was your night.”

“Rushed.” Was Clare’s short reply. Sparing a minute to look the teen over, she observed, “You’re in a great mood. Did something good happen?”

“The best.” She beamed. “My application to my first choice university got accepted!”

“Oh my God.” Clare couldn’t help but smile. “I’m so happy for you. Congrats.”

“Thanks.” Suzie grin was from ear to ear. “It means a lot.”

“I’d hug you now, but…” She lifted up her nylon-gloved hands, and Suzie nodded in understanding.