CHAPTER 2 - LUCAS

"Did you see that the diplomatic university is looking for someone to give a lecture?" Noah said enthusiastically as the elevator descended.

"And what do we have to do with it?" Lucas asked, confused, putting on his coat. January was almost ending, but snow was still a big part of the city's picture.

"We? This is about you, my friend." He said excitedly while they were leaving the building and heading to the bus stop, making Lucas even more confused.

"Would you mind explaining it?" Lucas retorted and heard his best friend let out an annoyed sigh.

"Aren't you the one who wanted a promotion in the bank as soon as possible? Well, here is an opportunity for you to stand out and get what you want!" Noah said, trying to convince him it was a good idea. Lucas still looked a little skeptical and, as they finally sat on the bus on their way home, Noah was still trying to convince him. "I mean, no one wants to do it. Let's be honest, it kinda sucks, but if you succeed at it, I guarantee you, my friend, our supervisors are definitely gonna be glad that you represented the bank well at a prestigious university." He concluded proudly, making Lucas consider it.

"I think I might do it then." He assented, getting up to leave on the next stop. "Let's just hope this is gonna be useful." Lucas said at last and left, not giving his friend an opportunity to make another speech on the subject.

As soon as Lucas got to his modest, yet very comfortable apartment, he heard some noise in the kitchen. "Mãe?" He asked, because since his parents lived nearby, his mother would always drop by to prepare him some food. Though today, that was not the case. "Oh, hi, love." He declared, shocked to see his girlfriend on a Monday night at his apartment, but happy nonetheless that she was there.

"Hey baby, I was just passing by before going home. I thought I had left that bottle of wine here last time." Celeste stated, with her head still inside the refrigerator, not looking at him. That's when his happiness vanished. Those types of answers were the ones that made him doubt the future of their relationship.

"It's on the door." Lucas informed distressed, sitting on the couch.

"Of course! I forgot your fridge was so small, these bottles only fit on the door." She accused with a sort of disdain that was almost natural to her.

"By the way, I think I'll be giving a lecture at a university to try to get my promotion." He proceeded, hoping that that feeling of annoyance would leave him.

"Baby, that's a bit lame, don't you think? Why would anyone stoop to teaching a bunch of college kids just to get promoted?" She retorted, making him clench his jaw. Why am I still with her? He thought bitterly to himself.

"Well, I think it's time for you to go, my love. You know, before it starts to snow again." He suggested with sarcasm, but she did not seem to get it.

"Yes, I think I should get going." Celeste concluded with scorn as Lucas walked her out.

When he was finally alone, he was at peace. For Lucas Diaz, the best feeling in the world was that of getting home after a long day, to be able to relax and just close his eyes, sitting in his living room, listening to the sounds from the usually calm streets. He did that for a few minutes every day and it was his own simple ritual, something that helped him deal with all his problems. Or at least forget them for a few moments. After 10 minutes, Lucas finally opened his eyes and thought about the lecture that, apparently, he was giving. Well, that's tomorrow Lucas' problem. He said to himself before getting up to prepare dinner.

And just like he predicted, there he was, at Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations, introducing himself to one of the economics teachers of the institution.