Chapter 8

After a few moments, Y/N's sadness turned to anger. How could they have lost so easily? They had spent days preparing for the spelling bee, and it was all for nothing. As the crowd began to file out of the room, Y/N stayed in their seat, trying to process everything that had just happened.

The weight of defeat hung heavy in the air as the spelling bee reached its conclusion. Y/n's hopes for victory had been crushed, leaving them feeling lost and defeated. The encouraging words from their teachers, Kanae and Shinobu, offered some solace amidst the disappointment.

"Hey, it's fine, kid!" Teacher Kanae comforted, gently patting Y/n's head.

"You did your best, girl!" Miss Shinobu added, offering support.

Suddenly, a voice called out, "Elder sister and big sister!" Y/n turned to see Kanao, a classmate, approach the teachers.

"Oh... congrats, Kanao!" Teacher Kanae exclaimed, embracing her.

"I got third place in the spelling bee, sis!" Kanao announced, beaming with pride.

Kanao then turned to Y/n, showering them with praise. "You're so awesome, girl!" Kanao said, pulling Y/n into a tight hug.

Y/n couldn't help but be surprised, feeling undeserving of such accolades. "I'm not. I didn't even make it into the top three," they replied, a touch of sadness in their voice.

"That was only because you were nervous, girl!" Kanao assured, continuing to embrace them. "You were just nervous, that's all."

A swift timeskip ensued, and it was time for everyone to head home. As Y/n patiently waited for the bus, they inadvertently caught sight of Muichiro and Nezuko kissing in an empty alleyway. Y/n's heart sank, feeling the sting of jealousy.

"Hey, Y/n, where are you looking?" F/n asked, their confusion evident.

"And why do you look so pale?!" Inosuke yelled, concerned.

"I'm fine, you guys," Y/n replied, attempting to put on a brave face. "I just can't move on from our loss, that's all."

Agni, slightly annoyed, chimed in, "Oh... okay, okay, I'll stop bothering you."

Soon enough, the bus arrived and they all got on board. Y/n took their seat and glanced back at the alley where Muichiro and Nezuko had shared their intimate moment. The sight of them together, Muichiro pinning Nezuko to a wall, ignited feelings of sadness and longing within Y/n.

Lost in their thoughts, Y/n barely noticed Zenitsu trying to get their attention. "Hey, are you okay?" he asked, his concern evident.

"Oh... I'm fine, really," Y/n assured, finally turning their attention to Zenitsu.

"Please, don't be sad because of our loss. There's always next year," Zenitsu said with a hopeful smile, gently poking Y/n's nose.

"Thanks, Zenitsu," Y/n replied, a glimmer of relief shining through.

Their group gradually succumbed to slumber as the bus journey wore on. After four long hours, they finally arrived in their hometown. Eager parents awaited their children at the school, but Y/n couldn't spot their own mother in the crowd.

Y/n decided to text their mom, asking about her whereabouts. However, their mother's curt response indicated that she wouldn't be picking them up.

Feeling a familiar sense of loneliness, Y/n sighed and searched for F/n instead. Spotting them, Y/n joined them, and F/n's mom offered to give them a ride.

"Thank you for dropping me off," Y/n expressed their