Capture the Flag, Fights, and A Prophecy

Thalia Grace was a Greek tragedy turned legend at camp, not that she would admit it. Her untimely death and transformation occurred before Lydia and her brothers arrived at camp, but given her close proximity to Annabeth, Lydia likely knew more about the girl than anybody else here. While Thalia mainly kept to herself after getting one too many questions about her time as a tree, Annabeth had been her rock. A tie to her pre-death past that allowed Thalia to feel like she was as normal as any other demigod. Lydia was an okay second, given her tight-knit connection to the Athena camper and the fact that she wasn't Percy. Perhaps this is why Lydia was whisked away after breakfast this morning to have some alone time with the older girl.

          The two girls lounged together on the rocks surrounding the stream that would later become the border for Capture the Flag. Thalia sat back and gazed up at the clouds with a sour expression. Lydia was calmly braiding some blades of the overgrown grass that stuck out of the snow together.

          "They just have this air of 'oh, I'm better than you.' You know? I can't stand it!" Thalia continued on with her rant about the Hunters. Lydia did her best to listen and answer when needed, but she did not have nearly the amount of animosity toward the group as the other girl. In fact, Lydia kind of enjoyed them.

          "I mean, what's so special about a little girl group anyway? I know I can take any of them, and you don't see me walking around as if I'm a god."

          Lydia smirked as Thalia grumbled out her complaint. She wouldn't say it out loud because she absolutely held some fear for the power the daughter of Zeus held, but Thalia definitely had at least a little bit of the same qualities she was complaining about.

          "That's good. Maybe you can help us win against them tonight!" Lydia responded. "Beats having to lose to them yet again."

          Her heart was only mildly in it, but nevertheless, she wasn't a fan of losing. Plus, the campers could use a win right now.

         "Maybe. I don't know, though. With Percy co-leading our team, my faith isn't strong."

          Lydia snorted. At least the two can relate over their annoyances with the camp's golden boy.

          "Just try not to kill each other until after we win."

          The rolling of eyes from Thalia did not reassure her.

          The two half-bloods fell into a comfortable silence. It was pleasant and likely the most calm Lydia has felt since the Westover incident. Even around her brothers, who normally are her safe space, she felt like she's been constantly dodging sympathetic looks and questions. Then there was her father, whom she had been avoiding since his vague warnings yesterday afternoon. Lydia decided to relish in the moment of quiet, for she knew it was only a matter of time before she got roped into planning an unauthorized quest with Percy or strategizing for a poorly timed game of capture the flag.

          Unsurprisingly, Thalia was the first to break the silence.

          "You like her, don't you?"

          Lydia was snapped out of her thoughts and even jumped enough to rip the grass she was braiding.

          "Sorry! Sorry. That came out of nowhere. Gods, I'm not used to talking about crushes. Ew. But I'm right, aren't I? You like Annabeth."

          It was more like a statement than it was a question. Which makes sense, considering. It's not like Lydia hides her emotions, whether she's aware of them or not. A crush on Annabeth was also something she had thought of before but never had the courage to admit out loud.