Chapter 1 - Black and Blue

"Being human is given. But, keeping your humanity is a choice. Don't let it slip off from your grasp or you'll regret it."

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

It's been a while, and Azura Redworth had enough situations going on her plate right now—welp, actually, it's too much.

A nightmare of certain skeleton monster attack haunting her almost every night. She is tired. Not to mention, the lady almost late because of it. Oh, that skeleton. Yes, him—the unfriendly and sarcastic Sans Serif. No, she won't blame him directly, right on his face, it's not his fault after all. He just a bit traumatized, probably because she is a part of magus family.

Right? Right.

Talking about the situation, yesterday was just a rehearsal.

Today is the real drill.

She expected the predicaments, even though not this bold. She got involved as one of mass riots targets yesterday—well, not directly but she got stared at and received foul comments—because the lady simply took part in the promulgation of the law regarding restriction of magic for monsters. Even her little brother—Aoba Redworth—was the one who initiated it after a meeting with King Asgore and his people few months ago.

For God's sake, she was there just to support her brother as part of Redworth and made a little step of revolution at least for herself. She knows, she doesn't have much authority to do extraordinary things. The government won't let her in the first place. As the result, anti-monsters decided to pull up a "prank" on her.

Azura's day is completely ruined. Her white blouse is now covered with mud and her cheek is bruised, thanks to someone's knuckles. Her hair is messed up, covered with the same mud as her blouse. Lucky for Azura, she got some moves. She passed them another hurt-and-satisfying punch in attempt to run away. At least, she still able to move although her cheek and stomach hurts like hell. Walking home from college never been so much fun. It was a long way home, and she couldn't walk any further. The lady didn't want to attract attention, so she hid in a nearby alleyway. Azura starts to regret her decision to walk home by herself. Recently, the anti-monsters became bolder than she thought.

Being bullied is not a new thing for Azura. She had experienced it for years, probably since she was born. The reason is because of her lack of magic and—oh God, her peculiar hair. Other magus considered her a disgrace since her lack of magic means she is probably just an ordinary human or a result of cross-marriage between magus and human which is seen as taboo for magus. Especially after knowing Azura is actually being quite close to some monsters and goes to Ebott University. However, her family doesn't have any comment about this and acts as if she never existed.

Except for her little brother. Aoba Redworth is the one who is watching Azura. Chasing away her bully and protecting her with his magic was what he did. But, since his parents told him to be Redworth's next successor, Aoba didn't have as much time to spend beside his sister as he used to.

And Azura doesn't want to be a burden to her brother so she won't call her brother this time. Since he was busy, the lady never tells him about wicked things that these anti-monsters did. Besides, she feels like it's very unprofessional to gets help often from his little brother, whatever the reason is. It's her decision to takes her part in such a chance. She had witnessed monsters got beaten up in public by people, but back then, she couldn't do anything.

She had enough.

Azura propped her body against wall and winced. Her legs feel numb, probably because she wasn't ready for this circus. Blame her teacher and never-ending homeworks. She doesn't have much time to exercise lately. She pressed some numbers and call button. Calling her only college friend—well that's sounds too dramatic but she couldn't think anyone else beside him. Moreover, he is the person who has been spending a lot of time with Azura.