Part 45: The King And The Goddess

The air was old and stale, the encroaching afernoon could be seen in the gradual shift from yellow to orange sunlight through the old dusty window that Soran had once destroyed with a barrage of missiles from the Light Fighter. 

They were both silent, the aged Draz staring straight into the eyes of Soran. His eyes were sad, old eyes of a man who had lived his life and was tired of its company. 

A bird flew past the window, squaking loudly at the forest below. Soran slowly lowered the DarkLight Sword, not looking away from the man seated in front of him.

"What has happened to the city?" Soran demanded, staring straight back into the dull eyes of the once-young Lord.

"Much has happened, Soran" Draz replied, now slowly getting up and turning to the window. His back metallic platemail armour scraped against itself  cutting through the silence. 

"Observe with me" Draz asked, motioning Soran to his side. Soran walked towards him cautiously, around the ornate desk which Rammachandra had installed in her first year of office. He now stood at Draz's side-looking out at the overgrown forest which was strangling the skeleton of Utopia City.

"You know what the view from this window was like-a view of the metropolis, the autominous city of sin and pleasure. Utopia City". His voice was raspy, it sounded as if he were nearing death's door. Soran said nothing to Draz's description.

"That was over seven thousand years ago". Soran still said nothing. "The city died-she let it die. It all started on Jubilee Day-the day she thought she had defeated you". Soran's memory flashed back to his burning skin and the blinding light. Somehow that was connected to him arriving in this strange world.

"You had been shot at by the cannon, engulfed by the Displacement Wave-Rammachandra believed you had been vaporized. But something wasn't right-your DarkLight Sword should have protected you-of course you know that".

"No, I don't" Soran spat. They were both still looking out at the forest.

"I apologize" Draz said, laughing slightly at his own foolishness and sitting back down at the desk. "The details sometimes escape me after all this time. Please, sit" Soran sat opposite Draz on the desk chair which had been placed there. The office had been in the same layout for all these thousands of years.

"We shall come to the mysteries of the DarkLight weapons later. You had dissappeared, thought dead. Somehow you had tapped into your ancient Genetic Memory-being genetically linked to Rammachandra meant that your subconscious mind had access to the most ancient, mysterious and powerful of arcane abilities. You took yourself out of Time and Space, throwing your body out of the Time Stream-a dimension from which you can see the entire universe at any time period. Only the most prestigious and powerful of High Priests could use this power-they used it to observe the future. Anyway, somehow you used the power to travel through the time stream itself-ending up here". Draz turned once more and sat down in the plush red leather, high backed throne of Utopia as Soran took his seat again opposite.

"So I travelled over seven thousand years into the future?" Soran asked, slightly confused-this whole reality was confusing. He was sitting in his chair bolt upright, still eyeing his old enemy cautiously. Draz seemed to enjoy the attention.

"Indeed, yes" Draz repied, still looking quizingly at Soran.

"But-if I could access this ability through being genetically linked to Rammachandra, does this mean that she has used the power too?"

"Ahhh". Draz smirked in a way that reminded Soran of the young Draz he loathed. 

"This is where our story gets a little more complex. As you know Rammachandra can read the minds of any human, and can even control them at times. This mind control is thanks to a defect which caused her Arcane Cortex and Memory Centres of the brain to mutate whilst she was in the womb. She could read minds and use her surface abilities, but could not access the most ancient knowledge stored in her subconscious mind. So her mental powers give her an edge, but she doesn't have the Arcane Knowledge that you have, Soran".