S1 EP1 - A Hard Day's Night

{I've done the math and this story will take up 3 books for the main Grey's story plus two additional books for the spinoff shows (Private Practice and Station 19), and the most OCs in a single story as of Season 20, so this is definitely my most ambitious project so far with 5 books in total for the entirety of the story (depending on how much longer Grey's Anatomy goes on.) Also the amount genuine medical research I'm gonna have to do to write for this is gonna be insane. Get ready for this story to end in like 2048.}

———

Lucas woke up in bed as his alarm sounded. He got out of bed and went to the bathroom to get ready. Afterwards, he went to get dressed. Lucas heard his phone buzz so he went to pick it up and flipped it open (because it's 2005).

Lucas: Hello?

Lily: {Hey, it's me. I just wanted to check in before your first day.}

Lucas: Oh, hey, Lil. What's the time back home?

Lily: {About 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Now, tell me you've found somewhere permanent and you're not still in that hotel.}

Lucas stayed silent as he looked around his hotel room with all his possessions stored in suitcases in the corner.

Lucas: Maybe.

Lily: {If you're gonna work there, you need a stable place to live.}

Lucas: I know. I know. I'll find one. I gotta go to work now. Bye.

Lily: {Have a good first day.}

Lucas hung up and left for work.

———

At Seattle Grace Hospital, all the interns followed behind Dr. Richard Webber, the hospital's Chief of Surgery.

Richard: Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today...

Dr. Webber opened the door to an operating room.

Richard: -you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you.

———

The interns all got their scrubs on in the locker room, waiting to be assigned to a resident.

Meredith: Only six women out of twenty.

Cristina: Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, that's gonna help with the respect thing?

Meredith: You're Cristina, right?

Cristina: Which resident are you assigned to? I got Bailey.

Meredith: The Nazi? Me, too.

George: You got the Nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley. Uh, we met at the, uh, mixer. You had on a black dress with a slit up the side, strapping sandals and... Now you think I'm gay. No, I'm not gay.

Lucas: Nope. Just a weird stalker. I've got Bailey, too. I'm Lucas Nash.

Cristina: Yeah, we know. You're the only English person in the room.

Lucas: Fair point.

Resident: O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Nash, Stevens.

Cristina: Bailey?