Chapter Five

Spottedkit froze; she was shocked to see that someone had found her so quickly and had dropped the sage she had seeked out. Spottedkit readied herself to be punished. She opened her jaws to argue even before Tigerstripe yelled any more, but no words came out of her mouth. Tigerstripe rolled his eyes. "Get back to camp. I'll take this," he squatted to lift the prey and herbs, walking back to SkyClan's camp. He glanced back. "You coming or what?"

Spottedkit flinched and followed him. She finally brought herself to speak to the warrior. "I-I'm sorry, you know..." she stammered. Tigerstripe grunted, and continued walking. "I really am," Spottedkit added, though it was barely true.

Spottedkit was excited for Tigerstripe to share how strong and adventurous she was to collect all that. Spottedkit reached camp and slipped into the nursery. A broad grin had spread its way onto the kit's face. Little did she know, the older warrior wasn't telling anyone.

Tigerstripe was talking to Brightfeather. Spottedkit heard Brightfeather say gratefully, "Thanks for the herbs. This sage'll be really useful. It can strengthen some cats when leaf-bare arrives. Has a lot of good antioxidants." Spottedkit filled with rage when she realized Tigerstripe had taken credit for the herbs she found. She ran out if the nursery and into the medicine den. Or at least she thought she did. Her mother had gripped her scruff, and Spottedkit had not moved any more than a tail-length or two when Mistycloud grabbed her.

"Let me go!" Spottedkit struggled, attempting to free herself from her mother's strong grip. "Okay, I'll put you down, sweetie, but don't leave the nursery unless you're granted permission. Feel free when you become an apprentice."

Spottedkit was filled with fury when Mistycloud said the word "apprentice". It wasn't fair. She was six moons now, or at least five and a half. But either way, she unsheathed her claws as her mother dropped her. "Why am I not an apprentice?! I should be!" Spottedkit hissed without a second thought.

Mistycloud widened her eyes at the angry kit.

"Sparrowfeather, watch Spottedkit. I'm going to talk to Ravenstar," Mistycloud ordered, not looking back.

The queen nodded as Mistycloud padded silently to Ravenstar's den.

Mistycloud did not apologize for leaving Spottedkit or thank the other queen for watching her. She simply vanished from the nursery. Spottedkit hoped her mother was suggesting she become an apprentice. Based on the expression on her face and the tone of her voice, though, Spottedkit knew that wasn't exactly  what she was doing. "What's she doing?" Spottedkit asked curiously.

"I'm not quite sure," Sparrowfeather responded quietly. Spottedkit could hear faint yowls from the leader's den. When no one was looking, she sprinted away.

"I am not making your kit into an apprentice until there is a fitting mentor available for her," Ravenstar shouted firmly.

"What about me? I'm her mother! I know her well enough! And she is not that much to handle. She is not a mischievous furball and any cat in this Clan could handle her," Mistycloud hissed angrily. And then she turned around. "Spottedkit? Back in the nursery, now."

"See what I mean? She left the nursery again. We will wait until she matures or a fitting mentor is available," Ravenstar clearly had made up his mind, and nothing could change his opinion. Head down, Spottedkit returned to the nursery. I've got to be less a 'mischievous furball' to be an apprentice? Hmm. I'll see what Ravenstar thinks about that when I prove myself. I'm strong and smart and deserve this. Just wait and see, Ravenstar.