Chapter Seven

Trying to be a mature kit was hard enough without Tigerstripe always glancing at her, making sure she wasn't sneaking off. She was minding her own business and making dirt when Tigerstripe came lunging at her.

He slowed down, panting, and hissed "Don't you dare try to leave, I'm watching you!"

"Uhhh, Tigerstripe? Are you okay? I'm just making dirt, if you're not feeling well, then you should probably go and see Brightfeather," Spottedkit suggested.

Tigerstripe walked away, grumbling to himself. Spottedkit turned around and padded slowly back into her den, gazing at the broad warrior as he entered his den. Spottedkit flicked her tail and turned around, laying down in the center of the moss and bracken that made up her and her mother's nest. A few moments later, Mistycloud calmly stepped into the nursery and started to groom Spottedkit's pelt. Rolling her eyes, Spottedkit prodded her mother. "Mom, I'm practically six moons old now! I don't need you to groom me, I can groom myself," scowled Spottedkit.

"Only six moons old. As long as you sleep in my nest, I can groom you," the pale she-cat pointed out.

Spottedkit grunted but did not argue as her mother's warm tongue touched her fur once again. As she saw Ravenstar's slick pelt flash across the nursery entrance, an idea sparked in her.

Spottedkit asked politely, "Mom, can I practice hunting?"

"Of course, darling. Just don't leave camp, I don't want you getting in any trouble," came Mistycloud's response. "Certainly, mother."

As Spottedkit strode out of the nursery, Tigerstripe immediately left the warrior's den. Most likely to run up and claw my tail off if I step out of camp. Spottedkit thought irritably. Spottedkit firmly decided she wouldn't leave camp at all. I have to be responsible.

She found a nice grassy spot near the edge of the Clan's camp to practice. Pouncing continuously as she saw the apprentices do to train, Spottedkit picked up a bit of knowledge on the skill. And as a weird smell entered her nostrils, Spottedkit unsheathed her claws to pounce on whatever it was.

So it was a ferret. Spottedkit realized as the brown-furred critter scurried away, and I missed it.

For moments Spottedkit wondered how one single creature could have such a strong scent, when she realized there was a whole burrow. Shoving her little head into the hole, Spottedkit spotted a plump ferret which she targeted. Feeling lucky, Spottedkit shoved her claws into the hole to catch the creature. She felt its fur, but when Tigerstripe sprang up at her, Spottedkit missed it.

"You made me miss my catch! I could've caught a big ferret if you hadn't popped out of nowhere like that!" Spottedkit hissed, baring her teeth.

"I doubt it," retorted the big warrior.

I may have missed the ferret. Spottedkit reassured herself, but at least I got practice. This is one step of many to get Ravenstar to trust me. One day he'll think I'm ready, and he'll let me be an apprentice. Flashes of the wonderful times she would have with Brightfeather during her apprenticeship ran through her head. And then I'll become the best medicine cat ever! Spottedkit bubbled with pride as she sprinted back to her den to take a rest.