chapter 1

"Morning," Luz smiled, walking up to the lockers that her friends, Willow and Gus, were standing at.

"Morning L-dawg. How's it hangin'?" Willow asked sarcastically, leaning against one of the lockers.

"It's hanging," The Latina replied, placing her bag in her locker, pulling out the few binders and books she'd need. "Will you come to the bathroom with me?"

"What about me?" Gus asked, holding his hand over his chest in offense.

"You know why, you perv," Luz said, side-eyeing him as she closed her locker.

"Go to class, Gus," Willow said as she began to walk the way of the restroom.

He playfully rolled his eyes before walking around the lunch tables to the classroom.

"So, what's up?" Willow asked when Luz caught up.

"Nothing really," Luz replied. "I just feel gross. Do I look gross?"

Willow looked Luz up and down, pushing her glasses up onto her nose as she rounded the corner into the girl's bathroom.

"Not gross. Maybe like you slept through your alarm and woke up to the sound of your mom walking down the hallway,"

Luz raised her eyebrows, turning to face the mirror in front of them.

"Yeah.."

Willow softly pushed the wooden door shut behind them. Luz placed her books on the counter.

"Goddamn," She muttered, running her fingers through the long pieces of hair that framed her face.

Willow stood behind her, brushing wrinkles out of Luz's white dress shirt.

"Girl, was this in a fuckin' bear fight?"

"Shut up, it was on the floor for like three months," Luz chuckled, turning to face the dark-haired girl. "Better?"

"A lot. Except.." Willow began, reaching up to Luz's tie to straighten it. "There. Why aren't your clothes hanging up? Especially your school uniforms?"

"Dude, I literally lost this shirt last school year. I found it under my bed this morning," Luz laughed.

The door opened, and the two girls turned to see who walked in. Willow's eyes almost rolled to the back of her head, and Luz internally groaned.

"Oh, sorry. Looks like we walked in on you two lesbianing,"

"Good morning to you too, Amity," Luz sighed, turning to face the mirror, running a hand through her short pixie.

She reached for her books, signalling to Willow to start walking.

"Aww, we don't mean to scare you off," Boscha pouted.

The two girls pushed past them and walked out of the bathroom, ignoring the giggling of the others in the bathroom.

"Oh my god, they don't get any less annoying," Luz said as the two walked down to their class.

They took their seats in the back, behind Gus. Luz pulled her Bible out from under her desk, plopping it on the surface in front of her. Amity and Boscha followed them in a few minutes later, whispering and pointing as they made their way to their desks on the opposing side of the room.

"Good morning, I think everyone is here.. so let's start with our pledge," Announced the teacher, Ms. Waybright, as she closed her classroom door.

Luz pushed her chair back, standing up out of her desk, clasping her hands behind her back. She stared at the wall as Ms. Waybright led the Bible pledge, as well as the Pledge of Allegiance.