7 Tea

Geoff entered the sitting room, clean and slightly damp. His wet hair curled and flopped over his forehead. He pushed it back and walked over to them. Drew motioned him to a chair nearer him than April.

April asked, "Would you like tea or coffee, Geoff?" She liked saying his name. "Help yourself from the trays." Mrs. Bigwood had set up a heavy tea, two kinds of sandwiches, chicken pie, cake, quiches, scones, and a cheese-topped casserole.

"Tea, please, one cream and sugar." He filled a plate and sat down by April. "Thank you for inviting me," he said. "I've had a busy day, and it's good to sit down with a cuppa." He took the cup from April; his fingers warm on her hand. "This is a fine tea."

"Mrs. Bigfoot always makes a big tea before her days off. Tomorrow is Samhain, and she'll be busy with her druid festival. She apparently thinks we'll starve unless she leaves the refrigerator crammed with food."

"She's a good cook," the vet said, eating a sandwich. "There's Nala." 

Nala, Drew's ancient Siamese cat, rested on Ben's lap. She cast hard, blue eyes on Geoff when she heard her name. Ben stroked the cat. Nala purred.

Geoff took another sandwich. "Pretty kitty. Quite a scratcher. She hasn't been to see me for a while."

"She has an appointment next week," said Ben, stroking the cat. Nala purred.

Geoff cocked his head and watched the cat. "Nala has taken a liking to you. She always preferred Drew. Only Drew."

Ben sipped tea. "Perhaps she's lonely since his passing. How are your grandparents doing? In Italy, aren't they?"

The conversation turned to winters in Italy and the Riviera and old neighbors, with April having little to say. She wondered how she'd fit in with people who knew the same families for generations. She supposed she'd mix with newcomers. The day darkened and the first star appeared in the night sky.

Geoff stood up. "It's late. Cress will have expected me home a while ago. Thank you for tea."

"I'll walk you out," said April. She walked him to the front door. "Cressida is your sister, isn't she? I met her once, in Pelham."

Geoff pulled his jacket on and buttoned it. "Yes. I'll ask her to invite you and Ben for dinner one night soon. She's curious about the new owner of Oakton, and what your plans might be."

"Thanks, I'd like to meet her again. Have her call when she can. Does she have the number?"

Geoff looked at her, grinning. "We have the number of the house phone."

She blushed. The Lanfairs and Ramseys had been neighbors for generations, so she should have realized the Lanfairs knew Ramsey better than she did. "Oh, yes. I should have realized. Sir Drew and your grandfather went to school together, didn't they?"

Geoff nodded. "We don't have your cell phone number. If you'll give it to me, Cress can call you directly." He entered the number in his phone, said goodnight and stepped into the dark yard.

April flicked on the light, and he turned and waved as he went to his van. She watched until the van disappeared down around the bend in the road. She looked down at her cell phone and realized he had her number. She wondered what dinner with the Lanfairs would be like before shutting the door and returning to the sitting room.

Ben left his dishes by his seat and stood up. "I've got work to do. I'll see you in the morning." He picked up Nala and went to the ground floor office. 

"Goodnight," she said, as he disappeared down the hall with Nala in his arms.

She packed up the leftovers and put them in the refrigerator. The dirty dishes went in the dishwasher. She dialed the knob to start washing and water throbbed into the machine. She washed the teapot and put it in the drainer.

April wiped down the tabled and draped the cloth over the spigot in the sink. She looked around. The kitchen was clean, but Mrs. Bigwood would certainly find something to clean when she returned. She smiled and went up the stairs to her room, stepping over the creaky step. No creak sounded behind her.