21 DI Burton Returns

A few hours later, April sat in the kitchen talking to DI Burton. He'd taken a report on the disturbance and slaughter of Nico.

"I'll post a notice. If some animal is hunting sheep, farmers will want to be on the alert. Or if it's a person up to something." He shook his head. "If there are any other disturbances, especially at night, be careful. Don't go outside alone, even with the dog, until we find out what happened."

"I'll be very careful," April said, wondering if whatever came in the yard last night had been kept away by Smokey and Chico. Worse, what had been in the house? "Nico was our top ram. I know Bill feels his loss." She sighed. "He's very proud of Oakton sheep."

'Yes," said Burton. "This gives me the opportunity to update you on the results of the body you found in the bog."

She looked up, startled. "Have you identified the man?"

"Mark Musselwhite, missing since August 1."

"Oh." April remembered the efficient, kindly woman who ran Geoff's office. "Mrs. Musselwhite who works for Geoff Lanfair. At the vet office in Pelham."

"Right. I'm on my way to tell her after I leave here."

"Geoff is in the barn, with Bill. Would you like to talk to him?"

Burton scratched his chin. "He may be helpful talking to her. He's a good chap."

"Would you and your men like something to eat, while you wait? I heated a lasagna Mrs. Bigwood made. Maybe coffee or tea? It's cold today, and I heated some for Bill and the shepherds."

A few minutes later, Geoff and Bill came in. Bill was solemn, and April knew he was concerned with the sheep. Geoff was calm, and handsome in his working clothes. He pulled the mask down from his face and smiled slightly when he caught her eye. April's heart beat a little faster, but this was excitement, not panic.

Burton shook hands with the men. "I have information on the body found in the bog. It's Mark Musselwhite. I'm going to tell Mrs. Musselwhite. She's at home, not at the office today."

Geoff nodded slowly. "I've got to go back to the office. I can follow you, if you like, and talk with her, too."

"That would be very helpful, sir. I've got to check in with my men, so we'll be here another forty-five minutes. You've got time to eat. It's been a long day. I'll call you when we're leaving."

Geoff and Bill washed up, and April put the lasagna on the table, along with garlic bread and salad. Bill finished eating first and got up to leave.

"I've got to get back to t' sheep, Mrs. Waverly," he said, "and relieve Lucas. If you don't mind, I'll send Smitty in for something to eat. Estelle will be back tonight, and he'll stay with us while he's here.

"That's good. What about Lucas?"

"He'll eat at home, then come back. We might take turns watching at night. I'm going to put the prize ewes and our best rams in the barn at night, at least for a few days. Thank you for dinner. Ta."

He left by the kitchen door and April and Geoff watched him and Alfie cross the yard to the barn.

April turned to Geoff. "Can you tell me what you found out? About Nico."

Geoff shrugged and said, "Something stabbed him in the throat, perhaps with a stake, or broken branch. Three stabs." He looked out the window at the sheep grazing. Chico lay on the ground, head held high, watching his herd. "The police are taking the carcass for examination. They'll send you a report." He paused.

April wondered what had happened. "What is it? More bad news?"

"Sorry. One of the ewes lost her lambs. Not one of the three new ewes. Two lambs."

"Poor thing. Will she recover?" Bill would be upset at this further bad news, but it had to be accepted.

"She was eating when I left." He looked out the kitchen windows. "Burton is coming back. I know this is a difficult time, but I wanted to invite you and your family to the Christmas Eve Service at St. Duncan's. It's very beautiful, and the bells will ring. Cress is one of the bellringers."

April smiled, pleased with the invitation. "I'd love to come. I'll see if Mom and my brother would like to come. Max probably won't. Mrs. Bigwood will be here—she celebrates Yule with her druids, not Christmas, and she said she'd be happy to watch him when we adults want to do grown-up things."

Geoff smiled, and leaned a little closer, looking her over. "I know it's been a bad day, but you look—fresh. Good color."

"Probably being out in that cold air." April smiled.

"Cress and I look forward to having you. I'll be in touch about the times. I can show you the view from the bell tower. You can see Pelham and many farms, even Oakton.

"Is there something I can do for Mrs. Musselwhite? I mean, her husband was found here, so it may be awkward."

"We may want to wait till the police reports are in. It may not have been an accident," Geoff said. He cupped his hands and watched for April's reaction.

April's eyes widened. "Foul play? But who? Of course, the police will have to find that out. Whatever, I'm sorry for her. Mrs. Bigwood said they'd been married 28 years. She'll want to send her some food, so Mrs. Musselwhite won't have to worry about cooking all the time." Mrs. Bigwood had a reputation for turning up with a casserole and side dishes during times of trouble.

"Does Mrs. Musselwhite have family close by? I saw pictures of a young man and woman with her. A graduation picture, I believe."

Geoff nodded. "Her son graduated from Uni in Yorkshire. He cares for the big cats at the zoo there. Her daughter is married and living in Bath."

"One more thing." He looked at her directly. "Bill said there was someone or something prowling around here last night. Do you feel safe staying here alone?"

"Mrs. Bigwood will be back tonight, and she'll sleep in the Lodge for a few days, so I'll have company." She said shyly, "You seem rather worried about me. Ben is back tomorrow. I called him with the news. Now I've got to call him again." Tell him more bad news, she thought.

Geoff scowled. "Ben has changed. He's...there's a different look in his eyes. He was always ambitious, but with Ramsey's money coming to him, he's...Don't trust him. Double check everything he wants you to do."

April smiled. "He's very eager to have me stay at Oakton. He knows everything about it, but he's working to help me. That, at least." She shook her head. "I'll be glad when he's gone. Odd. He never says anything about his plans after he leaves."

She looked out the window. "Burton is waving. I think they're ready to leave. Call me tomorrow, let me know what you've found out."

"I'll call. Good night, April. Lock the doors and the windows. Smokey should bark if there's any trouble."

He hurried out the door and ran to his van. The engine started and Geoff drove after Burton. April stood at the kitchen door watching the taillights disappear as the cars turned onto the road.

She looked at the plates, dishes, and general mess in the kitchen, and decided to clean up before Mrs. Bigwood came back, not that that would stop Mrs. B from cleaning. She opened the cabinet where the trash bags were stored. Hanging from the door was another rowan cross, tied with red thread.

The cross had been stuck to the door with tape. She traced it with her fingertips before getting bags and closing the door. Mrs. Bigwood must have placed crosses in odd places to keep them safe.

The plastic bin bag fluffed open as she shook it out.