40 Life on the Chalk

The solicitor who had prepared Drew Ramsey's last will assured her that with Ben dead, she was heiress to all of Ramsey's property. He also informed her that as Sir Drew had not been an American citizen, American taxes didn't apply, but he'd confirm the details. He assured her she didn't have to fire the staff but could keep them on. She arranged for the solicitor to pay them their inheritance anyway. The solicitor was more confused than ever, but his pretty, new client paid his fees without argument and his work would stand up in court. Pity people said she would marry the vet.

Wyatt jumped at the chance to live at Oakton for a year--or longer. He and Max arrived in early May and moved into the cottage with April. He went right to work making Oakton more profitable. He respected Bill's position as head shepherd and his knowledge of farming. He and Bill got along well.

April moved into the large cottage with Wyatt and Maxx. The director and his family settled in the Lodge for the summer. Mrs. Bigwood stayed on as housekeeper, and the farm was peaceful and busy. 

Wyatt suggested Oakton raise a few meat goats, as goat meat was growing popular in the markets. Bill approved the suggestion, with, "Aye, may as well try t'goats. Eat everything down to the ground, they will."

"So do sheep," Wyatt whispered to April, who hid her grin. Soon four nannies arrived. One had two kids, and the other three gave birth to seven more. The goats got busy eating the plants to the ground, as Bill had foretold, and could be seen perching in the trees.

Wyatt built a temporary greenhouse and started growing greens and sprouts. He sold them at the farmer's market in Pelham, and to the Pelham Cafe and a few restaurants that wanted fresh, organic greens. Cress designed a logo for Oakton Farm, featuring a sheep and an Oak tree.

***

Harvey Waverly put April in touch with a production company who rented the Bath house for an Austen sequel. The producer loved the story of Austen and the doorknocker and gave Max a small part in the film.

The three-bedroom cottage was charming. Max had painted it white with blue trim before they moved in. April had a comfortable bedroom with a double bed, the best view across the fields, and a short drive to Geoff's estate. They alternated weeks between his home and the cottage. Geoff moved Peanut to Oakton so Max could ride regularly.

Late one warm, sunny afternoon, a truck, pulling an animal trailer, pulled into Oakton, and stopped by the barn, where Bill, April, Geoff, and Max were waiting. Alfie sat quietly at Bill's heels, and April held Smokey's leash. The sign on the truck read, "Titcomb's Exotics: Alpacas, Emus, Llamas, and more." Max was hopping with excitement.

"It's him; he's here," he squealed. A white nose poked through the slats of the trailer. "The new llama."

The driver lowered the ramp, and led a tall llama, white with black markings, over to them. The animal was almost as large as Chico and stepped daintily behind Louis. He looked at the new people curiously, with brilliant dark eyes and ears at attention. He looked at the people and the dogs and his strange new surroundings.

"I can name him, right, Aunt April?" Max asked, tugging on her hand.

"That's right, it's OK to give him a new name for his new home. Have you got a name in mind?"

Max put his head on one side then the other. "Pepper. Cause he's got black pepper spots."

"Well done," Geoff said, stroking the animal's back. "Give him the treat now, why don't you?"

Max offered the llama pieces of apple.

Pepper was soon established in a small paddock, checking out his surroundings. One of the nannies led her kids over to the paddock, curious and hoping for a handout. Max gave her some apples. Titcomb's Exotics drove off.

Max climbed up on the paddock rails. "Is he going to stay here all night?"

"No," said Bill. "He'll go in the barn later, and I'll move him in the field wi' the sheep."

Estelle walked out of the kitchen door and waved. "That's the new llama. Handsome." She went back in the kitchen.

"Suppertime," said April."

***

Geoff and April flew to Valencia the second week in May and then to the island of Ibiza. For several days they relaxed under the Mediterranean sun, eating, sleeping, swimming, and enjoying each other's company.

"Today's our last day here." April said, lying on the sand beside Geoff. "We fly back home tomorrow."

"Mmmrmf.

She rubbed his arm. "Back the daily grind. Sheep and farming, and a vet practice."

He opened his eyes slowly and turned to gaze at her. "Wherever, with you. Are you anxious to be home?"

She considered this, looking at blue skies and sea, resting on the warm white sand. "No. I want to be home, but I'm happy here, today, right now. Happy that home is waiting. You're with me."

"Me, too."

"Max wants ducks, so, I guess I can get a few. Mrs. B said to get some that lay eggs we can eat. That's good, 'cause I think Max will be upset if we eat the ducks." She turned to look at him. "I do like duck, though. Pepper is doing fine. Bill says he took to the guard job like a pro."

Geoff smiled lazily and stroked her wrist with his finger.

"What do you want to do tonight, my future wife? Go dancing? A club?"

April shook her head. "Stay in. Dinner here. The hotel restaurant is great, and the view is lovely. Walk on the beach, just you and me."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

***

The last Saturday in June was clear, mild, sunny, one of those rare summer days William Shakespeare, of nearby Stratford-upon-Avon, wrote about in a sonnet. "Perfect day for Cressida's wedding," she said to Wyatt, as they watched Cressida leave St. Duncan's with Tom, her new husband.

St. Dunstan's church bells rang for a wedding.

The wedding was large, for Cress and Tom had family and friends. April had been invited, along with Wyatt and Max. Cress understood, without asking, that April and Geoff would marry sooner rather than later. She had also been warned that if anyone learned they'd booked St. Duncan's for next June before they announced their engagement, they'd elope.

"That I doubt, Geoff." She laughed. "April told me she wants a country wedding." She held a finger to her lips. "Shhhhh. Tom and I will mention it to no one."

The guests followed the wedding party to the church hall, decorated with flowers and garlands. A three-tier wedding cake dominated a table to the side. People milled about, looking for their seats as the bride and groom talked to the guests. A long table sat at one end of the room, designated for the wedding party.

Anabel came over to April and Wyatt and took Wyatt's hand. She bent and kissed Max's cheek. She and Wyatt had begun dating, but were taking things slow, despite Max's encouragement. Or, as Wyatt told April, nagging.

Geoff found April and took her hands. "You are beautiful," he said, looking her over in her soft green dress.

"And you are very handsome."

"Are you happy, April, Mistress of Oakton, with all that's happened?"

"I am," she said, from her heart. "My home is here now, Wiltshire, with the man I love. It's so wonderful, wonderful. Life on the chalk." She looked up at him, smiling. "Lovely day for a lovely wedding, isn't it, Geoff?"

"Tis." he said.

Max laughed at the English idiom. "'Tis," he said, "'tis."

April said, "Tis."