13 Dinner at the Lanfairs

Drew drank an excellent white wine that complemented the salmon perfectly. Cressida Lanfair was an excellent cook, and her brother, Geoff, though not much of a drinker, liked good wine. Drew set the glass down and mashed salmon and potato on his fork.

Drew looked around the table. The only guest besides April and him was Fr. Matt Tolson, Cress's fiancé. He was the new Vicar of St. Duncan's, appointed after the retirement of old Fr. Rutherford. He and Cress got to know each other as she was one of the volunteer bellringers of the parish. Their wedding was scheduled for next June. Drew Francis Ramsey, born in 1621, living in Ben Muir's body, loathed him as he loathed all churchmen since the Civil War.

Cress sat at one end of the table with Ben and Matt on either side; April sat next to Ben, with Geoff at her side at the other end of the table. The seat between Matt and Geoff was unoccupied. Cress had offered to invite Anabel, but Drew told her, as Ben, they were no longer together. Cress got the hint and didn't invite or mention her. Drew couldn't risk being with someone who knew Ben so well as his ex-girlfriend, so the lovely and rich Hon. Anabel Kennet had to go. He didn't lack other companionship as needed. He ate quietly, listening to April and Geoff's conversation.

"How are you getting on with Smokey," Geoff asked April. "Is he settling in?"

April smiled. "Oh, yes. He follows me around most of the time. He sleeps in my room."

"Becoming a pet, then? He was to be a herding dog."

April smiled. "He does try to herd Nala, but she scratches his nose. Ben calls him off. He'll try to go after the sheep when we're on walks. Bill says he'll train him to herd proper, soon."

"That will be a help in finding a shepherd to take him."

"Ye-ess," said April. "I like having a dog even though it's only been a few days. The companionship. If I stay at Oakton, maybe I'll keep him."

Never, thought Ben. Dogs don't adjust to a new soul in a body as quickly as cats. Had to get rid of a few when they wouldn't accept the change. Smokey will go after Ostara, or sooner.

"Are you planning on leaving?"

"Not planning, but the inheritance is not settled yet. There are several obligations I have to meet. If I can't meet them, I'll get the alternate inheritance, and I suppose return to South Carolina."

"Maybe you'll find another reason to stay," Geoff said.

April lowered her eyes. "I want to stay now. I... could love living in Wiltshire. I've got to get involved with the local community."

"Cress and I will help you there, right, Cress?" Geoff looked over at his sister.

"We'll be glad to," Cress said. "Do you attend St. Duncan's?"

April shook her head. "Sir Drew was against it. I went to the Anglican church in Bath. I just haven't started here. I should. I'll come this Sunday."

Cress said. "I hope you like it. If you decide to join, you might volunteer. The Women's Club has a Christmas bake sale. Look into joining the Woman's Club, or one of the others."

"I will," April said. "Thanks." 

Drew finished his wine and watched Geoff flirting with April. He'd remind her of the requirement to abstain from romantic relationships until Ostara. He considered if this relationship might give him an opportunity. He'd want to marry, as April, and Geoff was entirely suitable. Well-liked, from an old family, rich, a good career. And on the plus side, he didn't know April well enough to wonder about changes in her personality.

"More wine, Ben?" Geoff asked. Drew nodded and Geoff filled his glass. "I never knew you to drink before."

Drew sipped the fine wine. "I'll have a glass of wine with dinner," he said, smiling, "Especially when it's as good as this."

Drew watched April talking to Cress. He hired April as his caregiver with the intention of taking over her body when the time came. No one knew her well in England except her ex-husband, and he was distant. After the change, he'd live as April. He'd have to marry and have children to continue as master. He wasn't worried about childbirth, as he'd been the two other times he'd had to take a daughter.

He considered the American again. She was a good choice: young, healthy, intelligent, not unattractive, but not so attractive as to attract attention, or catch a better husband than Harvey Waverly. For some reason, now, Geoff Lanfair was definitely interested in her.

All the people who knew her well were in the States, and she hadn't gotten to close to anyone working for him; he'd made sure of that. She had very little contact with her ex since the divorce. The Bigwoods, who knew her best, would be retired with a generous payout.

He remembered the difficulties taking over his heir's bodies during the last 300 odd years. He'd educated them at home before sending them to schools abroad where any friends they made could be dropped easily, and any servants or staff who might know them could be dismissed.

April should have become his vessel last Lughnasadh, but she had gone to the States for a family funeral. Nothing he could do about that. He'd improvised, not for the first time. The doctors gave him a few weeks to live, so he'd changed his will, taken Ben's body, and waited for Ostara.

He decided to encourage Geoff's interest in April. He spoke to his host. "April's a fine young woman. She took good care of Ramsey, and he rewarded her. She's young, attractive, going to be wealthy. She won't have any trouble finding a young man."

Geoff watched Ben carefully. He wondered if Ben would be a rival. He'd broken up with Anabel, who was also young, rich, noble, and had never been interested in anyone but Ben. Geoff liked April when they met and would have asked her out but for her demanding, 24/7 job as Drew's caregiver. And then, Drew had explained privately that her marriage ended because she didn't want children and was bisexual. Her job also depended on being available with no other distractions, and that she wanted the money to return to the States. It would be easy enough to clear up Sir Drew's lies by revealing Harvey Waverly didn't want children.

"Cress will introduce her around. Weddings are a good place to meet people," said Matt.

"Cress's wedding next June."

"Right. Are you seeing anyone new? Anabel came to the office the other day. She's dating around. No one serious yet."

"Good for her." Drew looked calmly at Geoff. "I've dated a few women and intend to do so for a while. I've been stuck in Pelham, and I want to get out."

Geoff relaxed, and Drew noticed. The conversation turned to other matters, the five young people talking through dinner and dessert.

At ten o'clock, Drew stood up. "Thank you for a lovely dinner. I have to go to Bath tomorrow, a matter of Mr. Ramsey's house there."

"I'd better be getting home, too," said Matt. "I have work at the church early in the morning."

Cress and Geoff walked their guests to the door. April hung back and whispered to Ben, "I'd like to invite then to dinner at Oakton. Do you think now would be a good time to ask?" Drew nodded.

"Thanks for dinner. Please come to dinner at Oakton. Next week?" She looked at the Lanfairs and the vicar.

Cress said, "Call me, we'll set up a date."

They said their goodbyes. Drew, April and Matt walked to the street, stopping by the Mercedes. "Fr. Tolson, can we drop you off somewhere?" Ben offered.

"No, no, thank you. I live a block away, and a walk will do me good. I'll see you in church, April." He shook hands with Drew, and said, "Ben, I'll see you for dinner, if not sooner."

Matt crossed the street and walked along the row of houses to vicarage of St. Pelham's Church. A dog barked in a yard as he passed by.

Drew held the passenger door for April and got behind the wheel. The Mercedes purred to life as he pulled into the road and drove the quiet country roads under the stars to Oakton.