Chapter Ten

The small group waited at the security gate for Betty to be wheeled in from the private ambulance the insurance company had insisted transfer her from hospital to airport. Frankie, anxious that she wasn't accompanying her daughter home, excited to have two days with Reuben completely to herself but also dreading the moment when she would have to say goodbye to him, was all over the place.

"So Dad and Felix will meet you at Heathrow."

"Okay, Mum. Stop worrying, I'll be fine. I get my own bodyguard; remember? I won't even have to carry my own bags. It will be like being Victoria Beckham or something, except she gets to totter off the plane in sky-scraper heels and I get pushed off in a wheel-chair."

"I feel like I should be coming with you."

"You can't. The insurance wouldn't pay for your ticket because I'm over sixteen, you do remember I'm over sixteen, right? And there's no way you can afford to buy a seat on a scheduled flight, especially after buying these amazing boots for me." She lifted her good leg to admire her Christmas present yet again. "Besides, Ruby needs you to keep him company on the train to Paris although I do have to warn you, Ruby, she always falls asleep on trains and snores. Just so you're pre-warned," she said, holding up her hands at the groans of disbelief from Bruno and Jules.

"Cheeky mare," laughed Frankie. "I know I'm being silly. You just gave me such a fright, love."

"Mum! I'll be fine. Now just give me a kiss and GO!"

Frankie hugged her daughter carefully and kissed her goodbye.

"I'll see you in a couple of days," called Betty as she was pushed towards the priority lane of the security queue. "Bye Ruby, bye Aunty Jules and Uncle Bruno. Thanks for everything."

Jules and Bruno walked with Frankie and Reuben to the train station at the far end of the airport.

"I'm sorry the way things turned out," said Jules, hugging her sister goodbye, "I hope it won't stop you coming back soon."

"You've really looked after us. I don't know how I'd have got through it all without you guys," said Frankie, "and la Vieille Grange is just fab. I'll definitely be back."

She pulled Bruno into a three-way hug with her and Jules.

"I love you both. Thanks for everything." She could feel tears welling.

"We should get going," said Reuben, returning from the ticket desk, "or we'll miss the connection for the TGV." He picked up their luggage and lifted it onto the train.

"I'll see you on Saturday," he said, shaking hands with Bruno and kissing Jules on each cheek.

As the fast train pulled out of the main station half an hour later and Reuben stashed their coats on the rack above their seats, Frankie settled back into her window seat and felt truly relaxed and free of responsibility for the first time in as long as she could remember. As they sped through the French countryside, an officious-looking ticket inspector moved slowly along the carriage. Clipping their tickets, he thanked them stiffly before making his way to the next seat.

"So we have a couple of hours to Lyon, long enough in Lyon for lunch and then another couple of hours up to Paris," said Reuben. "We should be in our hotel room in time for pre-dinner entertainment." He smiled beguilingly and pressed his leg against hers causing Frankie's heart to flutter like a butterfly in a jar.

"Stop teasing me or I shall have to force you join the three hundred kilometre an hour club," she smiled.

"The three hundred kilometre an hour... oh, I see... like the 'mile high club' but on a high speed train? I like the way you're thinking. I'm in if you are?"