Chapter 13 - Confrontation

While the two friends conversed, y/n was sitting in the office, and Tobirama sat across from her examining her with his eyes, it was clear that he was skeptical. She tried to keep a friendly smile, but the atmosphere was uncomfortable. She looked around and waited patiently while avoiding the white-haired man's gaze. Cutting off her thoughts he asked:

"Why don't you tell me about your world y/n-chan?"

She looked at him eyes filled with fear, her throat suddenly felt dry. How did he know? She said she was from another world as a mere figure of speech. Yes, she was different, but he can't know she's not from this verse. It's impossible, yet his question was clear.

Unable to pronounce a word correctly, she left out a quiet "Huh?"

*  * *

She was nervous, how could she explain herself? And why was he picking on a detail that seemed so trivial? She knew Tobirama Senju was an extremely skilled shinobi, incomparable to his peers. He had created multiple Jutsus and taken numerous measures to protect Konoha. His presence intimidated her. She was just a young woman who wanted a life filled with love and passion, and confronting a man like him was not something she had considered. Lying to Tobirama would be foolish, and she had no idea what would happen if the truth about her was discovered.

''Y-You want to know about my land? Should I be truthful or should I be pleasant?'' she asked him and he simply raised his eyebrows as a signal for her to keep going. She cleared her throat: ''Well my world is a place so cold and so dull. My land is filled with people who walk mindlessly, consume greedily and never seem to get enough. It's a place where everything has lost meaning and lies are glorified. In truth, after years of existence, I realized that its true beauty was merely a facade that could easily be stripped away.'' His face contorted into a look of perplexity, forming deep furrows on his forehead as he struggled to make sense of the situation. She continued: ''I, as well, couldn't fully escape from it. You see I refer to that place as my land though I do not belong there. I have become a foreigner from that place yet I fool myself and ignore the lie behind that meaningless word.'' 

Tobirama looked at her quizzingly he hadn't expected words, she then chuckled nervously ''I do not wish to bore you Tobirama-sama, but if you asked me about my land then I'd say that it's merely in the past now and to be candid with you I do not wish to think about it nor do I wish to think about tomorrow, the so-called future.''

''I want to think about today.'' 

Tobirama scoffed then grinned ''You surely are bizarre.''

''I'm often told so,'' she chuckled.

''No wonder you caught his eyes'' he said more to himself. He then added ''well I do hope that you'll find what you're looking for Y/n-san, but what exactly made you want to come here, to Konoha?''

Although his remarks left her feeling uneasy and she was almost certain that he didn't truly believe that she was from another verse, he replied as if he already knew everything. In order to hide her nervousness, she smiled at him. As he looked at her, his mind was filled with an overwhelming sense of confusion that he couldn't quite shake off. He was left feeling perplexed by the complexity of her thoughts and emotions. He couldn't decide whether this woman was simple-minded or whether she was brilliant. Nor could he decide whether she was happy or sad, he couldn't comprehend her. He was accustomed to being surrounded by women whose behaviour and speech were traditionally feminine and focused on simple matters, with the aim of projecting an optimistic outlook. Her assertiveness in discussing such heavy topics came as a surprise to him.

''Well, I've heard that Konoha is thriving and want to take a chance to perhaps find peace and to think about other things that fear and sorrow.''

''And you were desperate to the point of accepting help from Madara?'' he asked rhetorically to which she responded confused: ''Pardon me, but I do not understand what you mean.''

''Do you have no idea about who that man is, do you?'' 

''The Uchiha Clan leader and a founder of Konoha,'' she responded, making him scoff. ''Don't let desperation cloud your judgment you could put yourself in a terrible situation.''

''Tobirama-sama, I'm not sure what you are referring to.''

''Be warned, Madara Uchiha is a highly dangerous individual. You seem rather sensitive and driven to improve your life, but getting involved with him could ruin your life more than anything.''

''Tobirama-sama, I appreciate your concern. However, I must let you know that I feel incredibly fortunate to have everything I need under Madara-sama's care.''

He chuckled sarcastically, ''I've warned you and you do as you please.''

* * * 

After a couple of minutes, she was relieved that Madadara was back and they'd finally leave. Before leaving she bowed and said ''It was a pleasure talking with you, Tobirama-sama, I'm happy to have made your acquaintance.'' to which he narrowed his eyes and replied ''Hm. Goodbye Y/n-san.''

They made their way home walking side by side.

''Tobirama is exactly like I have envisioned,'' she remarked.

''Hn. An absolute arse?'' Madara responded and she laughed. ''No! No! Well...'' she continued to laugh ''I mean he was very skeptical and very stern too. He only smiled once and I'm sure it was because he was mocking me.''

''Regardless of what he does, it won't matter, because you are under my care.''

She looked at him and smiled ''How's everything, Madara? The clan? The village?''

''Well, I surely have a lot to catch up on'' he sighed and continued to walk. ''Perhaps I could help you? '' she said and a small smile graced his face, ''that's adorable, but I will handle it myself.'' With a gaze of admiration, she took in his serious expression. "You look different like this Mr. Clan leader," she declared somewhat teasingly, unable to deny the magnetic pull he had on her.

''You as well exude confidence. Don't think I didn't hear what you said to that Senju back there,'' he said eliciting a reaction of surprise from her.

''You did?''

''Yes Miss l/n, you're becoming a bit more like me, I'm proud,'' he responded with the same playful tone and she smiled softly: 

''I surely am. I follow your lead.''