CHAPTER ONE🍀

My story isn't all sunshine and rainbows. My story doesn't have a happy ending, at least that's what I tell myself. My entire life has been filled with challenges. Too many times it's nearly been cut short. Too many times I've resisted the urge to make it so. I worry. What if at the end of this I don't like what I see? I shake my head and continue through my school's hallways, passing faces I don't want to see on all the people that I don't like. I blast the escape through my headphones straight to the source beating in my chest.

"Four!"

I am entranced by the rhythm and flow. I feel every synth and syllable surging through my entirety. My body ignites and I feel myself beginning to light up.

"Four!"

I mumble along and tap my hands against my front pockets, my head automatically bobbing with the beat. I don't even realize my eyes squeeze shut and the lyrics flow from me like they're written against my soul. My body vibrates as I fill with anticipation. My favorite verse is coming. Like a dragon, I take my breath and ready myself to spit fire.

"CLOVER!"

I hear someone call my name and growl in my throat. Who the fuck is disturbing me and the climax of the song? I press my thumb against the pause button inside my pocket and turn to see my brother and my best friend. Marcus Ivy White- the only partial exception. I still glare at him though. He arches an eyebrow and shrugges sheepishly. He reminds me so much of Raheem from Juice. Khalil Kain got some explainin' to do.

"Sorry... Best part?" Marcus asks.

"What gave it away?" I reply sarcastically.

Marcus just laughs and brushes me off. I honestly don't understand how or why he puts up with my shit but he does and I love him for it. Marcus tosses his arm around my shoulder, a cheesy grin spreads across his light brown complexion. I already know what it means, but I humor him anyway.

"What could that look possibly be about, Marcus?" I play. He smacks his teeth and pushes me aside.

"Man, you already know what it is. Whachu' acting dumb for?"

I release a deep laugh from my gut. No matter how I'm feeling, my laughs with him are always genuine. This dude has always been right there with me through my darkest days. He's stuck by my side despite it all and I'm certain that if I ever need anything he's got my back. No questions asked. Sometimes that scares me a little. I know exactly how far he's willing to go. Luckily, we haven't needed to go as far as I'm talkin'. Marcus continues while I pretend he didn't just make me laugh that hard.

"Tonight. Eleven o'clock. Don't forget. I didn't do all this for nothin'."

"Alright. Alright. I won't forget. It's impossible and you know that. Why do you get like this every time we have a show?"

He slumps his shoulders as if he's asked himself this question many times before.

"I have no idea." Is all that he says. I laugh again and I feel all my teeth showing. A couple heads turn in our direction. Marcus notices my discomfort and pats my shoulder. His familiar arm wraps around my neck after I quickly put my headphones back in their rightful place and we walk our way out of that miserable ass building.

"Good fucking riddance." I mumble under my breath and flip my middle finger high in the air for all the snobby bitches in the background to see. It's not hard to miss since I tower over every person here anyway.

"See you in hell, whores!" I holler. Marcus snickers at my behavior and I hear several gasps and offended scoffs behind us. I reach out my hand to push open the door while I think about how much I can't stand this place. I'm sure Marcus thinks the same thing.