Chapter 3 : New crisis in the psychiatric unit

As Kate closed her eyes, she attempted to create a mental barrier, shutting out the scene unfolding before her. She relied on her trust in Marcus, convincing herself that he would be careful and swift in his actions. Yet, a small voice within her head whispered incessantly, sowing seeds of doubt and fear. It taunted her, telling her she was in danger, that she couldn't trust Marcus—that he would harm her, rape her, even kill her.

She fought against the oppressive voice, knowing deep down that it was not real, that it was a manifestation of her anxiety and vulnerability. But as Marcus worked, the voice grew louder, more oppressive, amplifying her inner turmoil. Her body began to tremble uncontrollably, betraying her efforts to remain composed.

Concerned, Marcus paused, his voice filled with worry, "Kate, is everything okay? Are you in pain?"

Kate clenched her fists, trying to fight back the overwhelming panic that threatened to consume her. Biting her lip, she attempted to silence the voice, to regain control. But it persisted, growing stronger and more insistent.

"Marcus, run away," she whispered, her voice strained and filled with a mix of desperation and fear.

Marcus, taken aback by her words, furrowed his brow, his concern deepening. "Kate, I'm here to help you. Please, tell me what's wrong."

But the only response he received was the sound of Kate's labored breathing and her attempts to stifle her cries. The weight of her distress and the presence of the voice overwhelmed her, driving her to lash out. With a sudden burst of strength, she swung her leg, attempting to hit Marcus in an act of self-preservation.

Reacting swiftly, Marcus managed to step back, narrowly avoiding the blow. His heart raced as he assessed the situation, understanding the depth of Kate's turmoil. He realized that he needed to act quickly to diffuse the escalating tension.

In this quick stepping away, he forgot the overalls he had left on the floor before. His left foot has been slipping on it and he lost his balance. He fell to the ground with a thud, momentarily stunned.

Kate's cries echoed in the room, a mix of fear, anger, and anguish. The voice in her head had pushed her to the brink, leaving her feeling trapped and desperate. In her heightened emotional state, she threatened Marcus, her words dripping with a raw intensity.

As Marcus regained his footing, his priority was to ensure the safety of both himself and Kate. With a surge of adrenaline, he swiftly pressed the silent alarm button mounted on the wall, summoning assistance from the hospital staff.

After a few tense seconds, four medical staff members burst into the room, their arrival prompted by the piercing cries and blaring alarm. The urgency of the situation was palpable. Three men swiftly approached Kate, overpowering her flailing limbs as two held her legs down while the third pinned her shoulders to the bed. The fourth person to enter the room was Sarah, an experienced nurse and the chief of the medical staff. In her hands, she held a pair of restraints, ready to secure Kate.

Sarah turned to Marcus, her voice laced with concern, "Are you hurt, Marcus?"

Marcus shook his head, assuring her, "No, I'm fine. Just a slip on the overalls."

At that moment, one of the three men let out a cry of pain. Marcus and Sarah quickly redirected their attention to the bed, their eyes falling upon the man who had been holding Kate's shoulders. He clutched his forearm tightly, insulted by Kate's bite.

Sarah's voice carried a stern command, "Get out! Find the doctor!"

The injured man complied, leaving the room to search for assistance. Sarah swiftly moved to restrain Kate's ankles, securing the restraints and fastening the straps to the bed frame. Kate's cries filled the air, a mixture of insults and anguish.

Meanwhile, a young doctor entered the room, accompanied by the injured nurse. The doctor assessed the situation, his gaze shifting between the struggling individuals and the preparations being made to administer a sedative. The two men continued to restrain Kate, bracing themselves for the upcoming injection.

The doctor inquired, "Has she taken her medication?"

Marcus responded, "Not yet."

The doctor began to request a syringe of sedative, but before he could finish his sentence, Sarah handed it to him, a subtle gesture of defiance. The doctor's dissatisfaction was evident as he scrutinized the syringe, verifying the dosage before proceeding.

As the sedative took effect, a sense of calm settled over the room. The doctor examined Kate's eyes using a penlight, ensuring her responsiveness. His frustration palpable, he directed his anger towards those in charge of his patient.

"Who is responsible for her care?" the doctor asked.

Marcus stepped forward, his voice steady, "I am."