Chapter 5 : The Marcus's choice

Dr. Belt, noticing Marcus's discomfort and self-disapproval, approached him with a rare display of kindness. He placed a reassuring hand on Marcus's shoulder, offering him support and understanding.

"Marcus," Dr. Belt said, his voice gentle yet firm. "I want you to know that you are a good nurse. We all make mistakes, especially when we are new to a service. It's important to learn from them and grow."

Marcus looked up, meeting Dr. Belt's gaze. He felt a mixture of relief and gratitude, appreciating the acknowledgment of his efforts despite the recent errors.

"I... I'm sorry, Dr. Belt," Marcus stammered, feeling a sense of validation in the midst of his self-doubt. "I should have been more professional and focused."

Dr. Belt's grip on Marcus's shoulder tightened slightly, conveying a sense of reassurance. "We learn as we go, Marcus. Your dedication to your patients and your desire to provide the best care possible is evident. Remember that even the most experienced nurses encounter challenging situations."

Marcus nodded, feeling a weight lifted off his shoulders. Dr. Belt's words helped restore his confidence and reminded him of his commitment to the patients under his care.

"Now," Dr. Belt continued, his voice steady and encouraging, "Kate will be transferred back to her room later today. But for now, I want you to focus on changing her diaper and washing her body with warm water and soap. Take your time and ensure her comfort."

Marcus mustered a grateful smile, appreciating the trust placed in him by Dr. Belt. The reassurance and guidance provided by the experienced doctor bolstered his determination to carry out the task with care and compassion.

"Thank you, Dr. Belt," Marcus said sincerely. "I'll make sure to provide the best care for Kate."

Dr. Belt nodded, his expression filled with genuine confidence. "I know you will, Marcus. Remember, we are here for the patients, and their well-being is our priority. If you need any assistance or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask."

As Sarah returns to the room with the water drip, the situation remains tense, and the challenges within the psychiatric service continue to mount.

Dr. Belt adjusts the length of the restraints while Sarah begins the process of setting up the water drip. Sarah is visibly angered by Dr. Belt's action but refrains from saying anything. Dr. Belt emphasizes the regulations regarding the use of restraints and their necessary adjustments. As Marcus starts to change Kate's diaper, Dr. Belt informs them that he will return shortly.

A few minutes later, Dr. Belt reenters the room, holding an old white rabbit stuffed toy. Kate explained he in the first meeting, it's her stuffed toy, and it helps her to be in secure. He places it close to Kate, providing her with some comfort. Sarah glances at Marcus with exasperation, clearly disapproving of this gesture.

In a professional tone, Dr. Belt instructs them to call him immediately when Kate wakes up and to not allow anyone into the room without his authorization. He recommends that Marcus take a break after completing the necessary care for Kate. He wishes them a good day before leaving the room.

Sarah stood there, her frustration bubbling beneath the surface. She couldn't contain her disappointment, and as soon as Dr. Belt was out of earshot, she unleashed her thoughts.

"None of this would have happened if that new doctor had just used a chemical straitjacket," Sarah muttered, her tone filled with exasperation. "Instead, we're stuck with these alternative drugs and this so-called new psychiatric therapy."

She paced back and forth, her mind consumed with the challenges of maintaining human resources in the psychiatric unit, especially when confronted with patients' aggression. It was a constant battle, and she knew firsthand the difficulty of finding and retaining staff members who could handle such demanding situations.

"And what about Dr. Nolan?" Sarah continued, her voice laced with a mix of admiration and frustration. "He's the one who designed this isolation room and created the protocol we're following. He understood the importance of strict measures to keep everyone safe."

Sarah shook her head, her thoughts filled with doubts and skepticism. She believed that Dr. Belt's approach was misguided, and it only added to the already mounting challenges they faced in the psychiatric unit. In her eyes, Dr. Nolan's methods were tried and tested, and they provided a sense of security and control.

But as frustrated as Sarah was, she knew she had to navigate the situation delicately. Dr. Belt was the hospital administration's choice, and openly opposing him would only create more obstacles for herself and the unit. So, for now, she would keep her discontent hidden and continue to support the existing protocol, even if it clashed with her personal beliefs.

Sarah took a deep breath, pushing aside her frustrations, and prepared herself for the next set of tasks. There was work to be done, and she couldn't let her emotions cloud her judgment. She would follow the protocol, as flawed as she believed it to be, and ensure that Kate received the care she needed within the constraints of the system.

Marcus finds himself in an uncomfortable situation, torn between his belief in Dr. Belt's therapy and his direct manager, Sarah, who has the power to make his work life difficult. He simply nods in agreement, not wanting to escalate the situation. Sarah removes the stuffed toy, emphasizing that it is not in the protocol, and sarcastically mentioning how she would like to see Dr. Belt explain to Kate's parents why she suffocated due to tearing apart the toy.

Before leaving, Sarah advises Marcus to add two absorbent pads to the diaper. Marcus raises concerns about the bulkiness, but Sarah dismisses his hesitation, calling him a novice and warning him about potential diaper leaks. Marcus reluctantly accepts her recommendation, and Sarah exits the room.

After securing the diaper, Marcus cleans up the room and takes a marker pen to write a message on Kate's forearm: "You are brave, and you are stronger than you think." He smiles, satisfied with his small act of encouragement, and exits the room, ensuring to lock the door behind him.