Chapter 4 : Dr. Belt VS Sarah

The doctor motioned for everyone in the room, except Sarah and Marcus, to leave. As the others exited, the tension lingered, leaving Sarah and Marcus alone with the sedated and restrained Kate.

Dr. Belt carefully observes Kate's naked body, clad only in a wet diaper. A strong odor emanates from her, indicating her poor hygiene. He glances down at the soiled diaper, the discarded overalls, and the used wipes on the floor, a clear sign of an agitated moment. Refocusing his attention on Kate, he notices her parched lips and pinches her skin, confirming his suspicion of dehydration. Frustration wells up inside him as he recalls that just yesterday afternoon, Kate had seemed receptive to his therapy and was in a better state of mind.

Exasperated, Dr. Belt turns to Sarah and demands an explanation as to why his patient is being held isolated and treated like a criminal. Sarah, defensive but composed, explains how Kate attempted to escape the previous night and had assaulted Marcus, leading to her sedation and subsequent placement isolated. Sarah insists that the staff followed protocol, which necessitated the restraint and isolation measures. She adds that this morning, Kate's aggression continued as she targeted Marcus and even bit Oliver on the arm.

Dr. Belt strives to maintain his composure and professionalism, though the situation deeply troubles him. He instructs Marcus to provide a detailed account of his actions leading up to entering the room.

Marcus recounts following the protocol, shortening the restraints on Kate's wrists. When she requested water, he obliged, providing a cup with a straw. Noticing her saturated diaper and excessive sweating, he proceeded with her body care. However, Kate grew increasingly anxious about the diaper and pleaded to use the restroom or have a bedpan. Marcus explains the restrictions imposed by the protocol, prohibiting the use of such accommodations. During the diaper change, Kate became more agitated, shaking her head and displaying signs of increased distress. She claimed that Marcus would harm her and, in his haste, he slipped and fell due to the discarded overalls on the floor. Subsequently, he activated the silent alarm.

Dr. Belt took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts and composing himself. He couldn't help but despise the restrictive protocol that governed their actions, but he also understood the challenges involved in changing it. For now, he had to work within its confines and do his best to provide the necessary care.

"Sarah," Dr. Belt said, his voice stern and commanding. "I want you to immediately initiate a water drip for Kate. Her dehydration needs to be addressed without delay."

He fixed his gaze on Sarah, making sure she understood the gravity of the situation. Dehydration was a serious matter, and neglecting it could have severe consequences for the patient's well-being.

"I cannot stress this enough," Dr. Belt continued, his tone firm. "The hospital could be held accountable for negligence if we fail to address Kate's condition properly. I would rather not have to explain to her parents why their daughter ended up with kidney failure and needing dialysis."

Dr. Belt's words carried weight, emphasizing the potential consequences of their actions. He knew that Kate's well-being was in their hands, and he was determined to do whatever it took to ensure she received the proper care, even if it meant challenging the protocol.

He maintained his composure, keeping his frustration with the system in check. Changing the protocol would be an uphill battle, one that required careful consideration and strategic planning. But meanwhile, he would work within the established guidelines to provide the best care possible for his patients.

Dr. Belt's focus remained on Kate's immediate needs. He knew that the water drip was a necessary step to address her dehydration, and he trusted that Sarah would carry out his instructions promptly.

"Yes, doctor," Sarah responded curly before leaves the room to retrieve the necessary equipment.