Chapter 1: I'll sign it

“Let's divorce.”

Like a thunder blaring in a cold stormy night, these two words completely broke down Victor's heart.

He should have expected it already. For five years, he prepared himself to hear these words from the Alpha sitting across him. However, it seemed as if no amount of preparation could steel his heart from getting hurt because of these words.

The piercing pain that struck his heart, his shortness of breath, stiffened back and gradually misting eyes were proof of how startled he was with this situation. Yet, the man across him stared at him indifferently just as always, not even noticing his unusual reaction.

Victor slowly clenched his hands leaving his pants now slightly crumpled as he looked at the piece of paper lying on the table.

“Like we agreed, we'll divorce after I completely had my grandfather's inheritance. It's on our contract,” Han Yu, the Alpha, gazed at the young male Beta sitting across him, his voice was cold and ruthless.

Victor held his tears from falling as he raised his head and forced a smile towards his benefactor, “I see. Congratulations.”

‘You must have been eager to dismiss me from your life as soon as possible seeing that you decided to divorce me on our anniversary.’

Victor thought of the small box hidden inside his room and the cake prepared in the fridge and another surge of heartache besieged him.

Han Yu looked at the young man, he expected that he would cause a scene right at this moment but received a word of congratulations instead. A slight ripple stirred his heart but was immediately swept away from his subconscious.

‘It's good like this,’ he thought as he replied a faint hum towards the young man.

Victor showed a faint mocking smile. How foolish of him. How could he have fallen for this Alpha? He knew it himself that this man held no affection towards him, a mere Beta, yet he still held on a sliver of hope that maybe, just maybe, this man would learn to love him after five years of cohabitation. But it seemed as if it was really not enough.

When everytime he'd count the days left of their five year contract, he already braced himself from what was yet to come.

But he was foolish enough to hope for a reciprocation of love. He was foolish enough to think that maybe this man forgot about the contract since he never mentioned it once on the past few months.

He was even more foolish enough to think he could still spend a few days to stay by his side after the due of their contract.

Indeed, he was foolish. A mere Beta expecting a love from an excellent Alpha, it's laughable.

He knew it was wrong to do so but the mind can't dictate what the heart could feel.

But from the day when his husband went home in a drunken stupor with a faint smell of lavender pheromones, he knew he lost him then.

Yet, he thought he could let go of the hope he longed for because of it, but realized that at this moment that it was really hard to do so.

Love just can't vanish in the instance you tell it to leave. Though you tried to suppress but it was still there, hidden closely inside your heart.

Sometimes, he thought, ‘what if I will just reject the divorce, will he hate me then?’

But he can't afford to have the man he held affection for, grew hatred towards himself and so he made a bold decision.

“I'll sign it.”

He looked at the piece of paper lying on the table. Everything has been taken cared of. Han Yu already signed it and only his signature was missing.

‘Victor Chase, you really are such a fool.’

He grabbed the pen from the side and carefully signed the documents.

In every stroke, Victor felt his heart break and fall into pieces. He really wanted to cry. Maybe only God knows how painful he felt right now.

Meanwhile, Han Yu who was watching on the side felt uncomfortable as he watched the young Beta sign his name on the paper. His face showed a slight frown and there's a stifled feeling in his heart.

It seemed as if he can't believe how the young man across him readily signed the divorce papers without any qualms.

He looked at the Beta in white shirt who looked pure and clean. His neck was slender like a swan's. His hair were black as the night sky yet looked soft like a cloth made of silk. His fingers which clutched onto the pen were delicate and every strokes he made were elegant.

He felt disturbed. Irritated even.

But why? Shouldn't this be good? Isn't that why he rushed Secretary Zheng to prepare the divorce papers?

He must have been too tired from overworking the last few days. Processing on acquiring his inheritance took a lot of his time these past few days and he hardly got a chance to rest. When he was finally done, he rushed back home to let Victor sign the papers.

He thought, it's time to let this young man go. The agreement was now fulfilled, he got his inheritance and the young man also managed to finish his degree according to their arrangements.

It's time to separate.

He completely forgot that today was supposed to be their fifth anniversary.

Victor finished signing the document and it felt as if a huge part of his life was cut off — missing.

He faced the Alpha who was looking back at him.

Maybe they weren't really just meant to be. He should be content that he could cherish those five years in his life. He should not be greedy.

“Thank you for your services.”

‘Ah, services. How foolish of me.’

To think that those five years were mere services for the Alpha in front of him, it's heartbreaking.

‘Victor, it's time to let go,’ he reminded himself. The paper has been signed and there's nothing he could do.

With that he flashed a smile towards Han Yu. A real one. A smile filled with the thousands of words he couldn't say towards the man. His love, affection, gratefulness, and farewell.

“Thank you, Mr. Han.”

______

Author's Note:

@the_idle: I've started this one for quite some time and I'm taking a leap forward just by sharing this one to everyone. I don't know if I'd be able to finish it, but let's see~🤔