the man

I woke up to Daryl holding the door, I got up and ran to help, Maggie getting up to help right after, everyone jumped up to help and as our feet slid in the bed and the walkers stayed persistent to get in, we all shared one thought that this could be it, this could be the day we die. The wind and rain got even worse, if any of us were dry it surely would have changed by now, we held the door for an unknowing amount of hours until the walkers stopped, we slowly backed off the door, clearly worn out and Judith kept crying until I picked her up and held her close to me "no matter what happens down the road, after that, we're family now, and I've realized, we all desperately need to shower" I sighed and Judith fell asleep, we shared a laugh and I walked back over to where Carl and I fell asleep sitting with Judith "I'll take her, you did pretty good just then" Rick smiled and I laid down on the still dry brown jacket, I slid it on the warmth engulfing me and I fell asleep quicker than imagined.

I woke the next morning, Judith had wiggled her way out of Ricks grasp and I took her, holding her close, everyone slowly started to stir and I fed her the last of the baby food I had "you don't have to take Judith every time she wakes up" Rick gave a me nudge and I smiled "she's no trouble, reminds me of family" I shrugged handing her off as rick kissed my head, Maggie and Sasha came in with a guy named Aaron and we all pulled our guns, "Hi" he spoke carefully, almost reserved.

Judith started to cry and Rick nodded to carl and I, we took Judith and walked off, "hungry?" Carl asked and I shook my head "I've fed her, it might just be the pretty boy over there" I nodded in the direction of Aaron and Carl smiled "can you hold her, I have something for you" he handed Judith over and I held her close "It's actually a couple of things" he pulled out a pair of walkies, a small box, and a book "the walkies so we can always stay in touch, no matter where you end up, a joke book, because you remind me of Ellie so I thought it would be fitting, and a necklace, it has a little flower on it because you told me you liked spring, so I just thought you would like it" he shrugged and I was quick to give him a hug, the best I could with a baby in my arms.

After Judith stopped crying Carl and I came back to attention, Carl kept Judith on his hip, Aaron had been rambling about his community and I had started to like the idea of it, Rick had knocked Aaron out, then tied his hands together, Carl and I dumped his pack and we found a flair gun, we all split off, a small group went to find the cars and the remaining split into groups of two and watched the perimeter, still in eyeshot of the barn "do you want me to put the necklace on?" Carl asked and I nodded, my hair had so long in the span of the three-ish years.

He put the necklace and I heard Judith crying, I turned to go but Carl grabbed my hand "she's not yours to take care of, and hopefully never will be," he pulled me closer to him getting a closer look at my lip "when did you bust your lip?" he asked and I looked down, "when I fell, with the walker under the car, I bit my lip" I rubbed the back of my head, when I pulled my hand away they had a red tint "busted my head last night on the door, surprised you didn't see the blood on my neck first" I laughed and the others came back from the cars, with a lot of food, we helped them bring it in.

Rick said that we may not be going and Carl walked up "what do you mean, why would we not go?" he asked and I looked at the two "if he were lying or if he wanted to hurt us, but he isn't, and he doesn't, we need this," Michonne looked around at all of us "so were going, all of us, somebody say something if they feel differently" she spoke and I raised my hand "we should go, there's something I haven't been true about and that's my birthday. Most of you may not know but todays my birthday, and we should go, please" I pleaded and Rick smiled at my words "I don't know man, this barn smells like horse shit, and its her birthday wish" Daryl nodded at me and I smiled "yeah, we're going," he looked at Michonne as he spoke and I smiled at Carl, Maggie rubbing my shoulder "happy birthday" she whispered and Noah hit my arm "happy birthday" he smiled and I smiled "so where are we going? Where's your camp?" Rick asked and Aaron looked up "well every time I've done this I've been behind the wheel, driving recruits back, I believe your good people, I bet my life on it – I'm just not ready to bet my friends lives on it just yet" Michonne walked forward and with a stern tone she spoke "you're not driving, so if you want to get home, you'll have to tell us now" I handed Rick the map "go north on route 16," Aaron started before stopping, "and then?" Michonne egged and he looked up at her "I'll tell you when we get there" he huffed and Rick looked up from he map "we'll take 23 north, you'll give us directions from there" Rick spoke and I sighed, wishing we could just trust a little easier.

"that's I don't know how else to sat it- that's a bad idea, we've cleared 16 it'll be faster" Aaron spoke seemingly worried "we'll take 23, we leave at sundown" folded the map up and went to stand "we're doing this at night?" Sasha asked and Rick nodded "look, I know its dangerous but its better that riding up to the gates during the day, if it isn't safe we need to get gone before they know we're there" Aaron shook his head "no one is going to hurt you, you're trying to protect your group, but you're putting them in danger" I walked forward standing beside rick "tell us where your camp is and we'll leave right now, on route 16, and we'll let you drive" Aaron looked away from me, his head slightly shaking and I nodded "its going to be a long night, eat" Rick ordered and I nodded.