생일축하해요 (Happy Birthday)

Chapter 12: 생일축하해요

It's Friday, October 27th. Birthday weekend! Hyunjin, Felix, Jeong-in, and Chan stand outside as Seungmin stuffs the trunk with our bags. My parents are standing outside, shivering. I look at them. "You don't have to wait out here. You guys can go inside." Dad won't stop staring at Seungmin with a scowl on his face. 

"I don't like this. I have a bad feeling about this." He says. Seungmin slams the trunk shut, clapping his hands together. Mom swats Dad's arm and walks up to me, hugging me. 

"Have fun but be careful, okay?" She asks. I nod my head as she pulls away. I smile and then look at my dad. 

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" He asks. I nod my head. 

"C'mon Dad. It's my birthday, can't you be a little happy for me?" He fakes a smile. 

"Have fun!" He shouts a little too loud. I sigh. I hold out my arms, staring at him. He walks over to me and I wrap my arms around him. He does the same, squeezing me tight. "I'm worried because I love you, you're my only child after all." 

"I'll be alright. I promise." I say. We pull away and I take a step back, standing next to Hyunjin. Mom walks over to Jeong-in. She hugs him. 

"I'm glad you're going. Watch over Chaeyeong." She lets him go and walks over to Seungmin who is standing by the trunk. "사랑해, 아들아. 채영이한테 아무 일도 없도록 해줄 거 알아요." She says. (I love you my son. I know you'll make sure nothing happens to Chaeyeong.) He nods his head. 

"걱정하지 마세요." (Don't worry.) He glances at Dad who's glaring at him. 

"제 딸에게 무슨 일이 생기면요. 내가 직접 널 해치겠어요. 받으셨어요?) (Anything happens to my daughter. I'll hurt you myself. You got it?) Felix snickers and Hyunjin elbows him in his side. 

"Okay! Gotta go!" I call. I jump in the white SUV and close the door behind me. I wonder what Seungmin's deal is with white cars. Isn't he worried he's going to get them dirtier quicker? This time, he has a Hyundai Kona. It's very nice and spacious. The others wave goodbye and they pile into the SUV. I look behind me as the others are chatting and laughing. I smile at them. Jeong-in catches me smiling. 

"You happy?" He asks. I nod my head as Seungmin gets in the driver's side. He sighs heavily. 

"Jesus, your dad can be scary." He says, shuddering. I turn back around in my seat and he starts the car. "You guys better have your seatbelts on. I'm not trying to get pulled over because you guys are irresponsible." Felix scoffs. 

"The only way we would get caught is if one, you're driving crazy. Or two, you're driving too slow." Seungmin glares at him through the window, making Felix laugh. I put a hand on Seungmin's thigh, squeezing it gently. 

"Let's get this show on the road already!" Chan shouts. The others cheer, including me. Seungmin puts the car in drive and drives off. 

Dadaepo beach is fifty minutes away and the entire time, the car is filled with chatter and laughter. Seungmin relaxed a bit as well and even jumped in on the conversation. Hyunjin leans back in his seat. "Chaeyeong, did you inform your teachers you're going to be gone for almost a week?" I turn to look at him. 

"Did you?" I ask. He nods his head. 

"Of course, I did. I'm a diligent student after all." I roll my eyes, turning back into my seat. 

"I think that's cool you're an artist, Chaeyeong. I wouldn't have guessed with you working at a bookstore." Chan says. Jeong-in looks at him.

"She drew all the time in middle school. I'm glad she's doing something she loves." I chuckle awkwardly.