28 | Monday, November 3, 1984

"Audge. Steve and I broke up." It's Monday afternoon, after halloween weekend. "I'm on my way." I hang up the phone, run out the door and start driving. Nancy had called me a little after school. This either happened right after I said by to her, or she just hasn't told me yet. I pull up, knock on the door. Karen answers and I run upstairs without saying anything. Sorry Karen. Nanc needs her best friend. I open the door and find Nancy sitting on the bed, flipping through a magazine catalog. "I came as fast as I could. I'm here." I say running up to her and giving her a big hug. She hesitated and hugged me back. I feel her loosen her grip and pull back. She's not even upset about it? "Nanc?" I look at her confused. "We talked about the party, in the back of the building after I said bye to you. He reminded me of what happened and I told him I was drunk and I didn't know what was going on. But then he said I was bullshit? I don't know what even happened. Then he said he's done. So..." Then it hit her and she started crying. "I'm sorry Nanc. I'm sorry." I pull her in close. Apparently nows not a good time to bring up the whole Billy thing. Billy and I saw each other a few times today at school, talking when we could, then he talked to me and walked me to my car after I left Nanc. We talked normally. Almost as if nothing ever happened that night. Almost as if I never even found out. I don't know how she would even take this. She warned me once but was wrong about everything. I get that she's concerned for her best friend but I like Billy. I like him a lot. When she finds out I've been talking to him again, she might not be too pleased. Maybe if I told her what he was going though, not to excuse his actions, but make her understand better. No I can't do that to him. It was almost as if I made a promise not to. I sit there with Nancy on her bed for a while, my arms still wrapped around her. I'll save the news for a better time.