64 | Sunday, June 2, 1985

"They'll have to hire you there ok. Don't worry about it?" Billy says. We sit in Billys room on his bed. Billys boss made me do a bunch of training tests yesterday to see if I'd be suitable for a lifeguard. I think they went well but I'm not too sure. "Ok ok...." I say with a sigh. "What's this for? Going on vacay any time soon?" I ask laughing, my eyes pointing to the suitcase that had been standing up by Billys closet. "Oh no... it's just an old suitcase that was in my closet..." I nod my head. "I'm thirsty..."I say as I get up to open his door. Billys parents had been out again, Max was still at a sleepover. "Alright let's go." He walks out of the room and we head to the kitchen. Billy heads to the bathroom and I get a glass of water. I take a sip of my water, my eyes falling to the counter. An already opened envelope had been laying their. There was a sticker with Billys name and address on it. I put my glass down and pick up the envelope. I look around to make sure Billy was still in the bathroom and pull out what was inside. What the hell? This can't be right? I look down in my hands to find a plane ticket. "San Diego, California, Gate 14, Zone 2, Seat 25B, Boarding time, 10:15PM, Departing time, 11:00PM, Date: Saturday, 06/15/1985, Issued: Sunday, 05/05/1985 03:59AM." What the hell? Billys leaving? Billy comes out of the bathroom and grabs a can of Budweiser from the fridge. He cracks it open and takes a sip. I'm standing, looking down, the paper still in my hand. "So um I cant... I cant remember if I already asked but...Any trips coming up for summer?" I ask. "No... Why?" he asks. I tilt my head, still facing the ground and squint my eyes. "Why are you lying?" He looks at me confused. "Im not lying... What are you talking about?" He asks with a fake laugh. I look up at him, hold the ticket and envelope it was in and shake it. "When we're you going to tell me you were leaving?" "You went through my shit?" He says clearing his throat. His expression drops and he reaches a hand to grab the ticket. I pull my arm back. "WHEN...we're you going to tell me Billy?" He sighs and his jaw tightens. "Audrey let's not do this right now.... ok look." I throw my head back and roll my eyes. "Is that what the suitcase is for huh? Two more weeks to prepare huh? I don't see another ticket in here? Ever planning on coming back, WHEN WERE YOU GOING TO TELL ME?!" I say extremely upset, I was fighting tears. "Audrey, I don't want to fight right now okay? I was going to tell you alright..." I let out a fake laugh. "The day of! Right? Or no actually when you ARRIVED to california. Oh wait! You just weren't going to tell me at all huh? You were just going to leave me right? Because the whole long distance thing never works out right? Isn't that what you said?" Billy cover his hands up over his face and rubs his eyes hard laughing. "Audrey! No that's not what was going to happen!" He yelled out. "Your lying! Don't LIE to me Billy!" I say, tears now falling down my face. "You told me a WEEK AFTER this ticket was made, that you wouldn't be leaving. But it's fine you know! You were just gonna move on to California life again. Leave me. Get a new side chick huh?" Billy is now rubbing his eyes harder with his hands. "Look Audrey! I got kicked out of the house okay! I have a certain time to leave alright?!" I tilt my head at him angry. "You could've TOLD me! You could've stayed with me! BILLY I SIGNED UP FOR A JOB TO SPEND MY SUMMER WITH YOU!" He pounds a fist, hitting the wall. "I don't know I just thought you know MAYBE you would be HAPPY FOR ME? I want to go back down their, maybe look into a real college, maybe just life my life to the best version on myself down their again. Ok I hate it here alright! I fucking hate Indiana! I fucking hate Hawkins! California was my best option to go! And I don't know, I just thought you'd be proud or happy for me, like A NORMAL GIRLFRIEND WOULD BE!" He says. I scoff. "What are you calling me abnormal because I'm upset that your moving across the country and didn't tell me?! No because that's not a normal girlfriend right?" Billy rolls his eyes. "YOU FUCKING ASSOLE. YOU FUCKING LIAR. YOU FUCKING MANIPULATOR! You PROMISED me... YOU PROMISED ME!" I say. "Promised you what exactly?" He yells out. "THAT YOU WOULD'NT LEAVE AFTER YOU GRADUATE!" I put my finger to his chest but he lets out a sigh and grabs my wrist tight and fast. I flinch at his sudden movement. He grabs my neck and tightens his fingers, gripping onto my throat. Billy has grabbed my neck before, usually during sex, kisses, or arguments. But this time it was different. This time it actually hurt. Not choking. Just, hurt. I automatically get quiet and shut down. "YOU WANNA KEEP TALKING LIKE THIS? KEEP FIGHTING WITH ME. RAISING YOUR FUCKING VOICE? YOU KNOW WHAT LIFE HAPPENS AUDREY! ARE YOU DONE TALKING? YOU QUIET NOW?" He grabs me tighter. My eyes are big and scared, his eyes are full of anger. My tears are on the verge of falling. "Billy...Stop... Billy let go." He grabs my tighter. Looks into my eyes and blinks. It's almost as if something clicked, like realization hit him. He lets go quick. Billy walks to the front door, slams it shut, and drives away in his car. I don't know where the hell he'd be going. As soon as he shut the door, I broke down. I had tried to keep everything bottled up in the moment. I grab my neck immediately and start bawling, I sit my body on the floor, leaning against the wall. Arguments in our relationship were common. More common than any normal relationship. The thing is though, arguments with Billy weren't really arguments. They were more so screaming matches. Each person takes a turn to see how loud they could get at the other person. Except I automatically loose as soon as Billy opens his mouth. I never win.