Notes and Yogurt

Imagine you had this friend who was really close to someone you don't really want to interact with. Like, they're best friends. And one day, you tell them why you don't like that someone. Imagine the fear going through me right then as I parked my car in the BoomMusic parking lot. Lucas wouldn't tell. Right?

"...And he was like, 'Nice iPhone," and I was like 'Yeah it's a XR' and he was like 'I just got one,' and then he said, "What's your number? I want to try it out.'" Lindsey droned. I hadn't really been listening to her, but I think she was talking about some conversation between her and Lucas. "I mean, that's a pretty lame pick-up line, right? But I was like, 'sure' so I guess it worked?"

"Mhm."

"But, he is so funny, you know. And nice!"

"Mhm."

"Stevie, are you even listening?"

"Mhm."

"Oh my gosh, Stevie!" Lindsey grabbed my shoulder.

I shook out of my trance. "Wha...what?"

Lindsey groaned. We walked towards the building. "What's gotten into you? You seem so absent-minded."

"I told someone."

"What the heck are you talking-?"

"I told Lucas. About...you know." I said firmly.

Lindsey's eyes widened. We reached the doors and she pulled on open. I stepped inside.

"Wait, how did he respond?" She asked.

"He was confused...but he said he wouldn't say anything."

"This is great!" She exclaimed.

"Wait, what?"

"It's obvious this secret is clamming you up. Once all the boys know, your secret is out and you can focus on your music and your photography. This is great!" She explained. But I saw no greatness in any part of it.

"Focus? Can will I be able to ever focus? I'll never be able to-"

"Hey, I got to go," She said, cutting me off. She did this often, when she knew I was about to rant about something she deemed not important enough for me to be consumed by. It was her way of saying "Shut up and get over it." "I told Lucas I'd meet him in the cafeteria. I'll see you later?"

I nodded in dismay. "Yeah. Have fun." We were early. Guess I could get to my new office.

Matthew had set up an office for me and I absolutely loved it. It was a small and cozy room. There was a desk and brand new Mac and a flat screen on the wall. There were drawers full of art supplies and the walls were covered in empty frames.

"They're for your own work." Matthew had said.

There was even a mini fridge stocked with sodas, candy, and other foods. I set my purse and stuff down and opened the fridge. I pulled out a Hershey's chocolate bar. If there was one thing I adored, it was chocolate. I could eat a thousand plain milk chocolate bars just like this with a glass of water and feel fine. I mean, I'd probably have a sugar rush, but I'd be fine.

I logged on to my computer and played around on Youtube, watching random videos as bored souls do.

I was in the middle of a Jonas Brothers throwback of one of their old episodes from Jonas when I heard the knock on my door. Then the running footsteps.

I paused the video and threw my candy wrapper away. I pulled the door open and saw a milky white envelope on the floor.

I picked it up and looked up and down the hall. No one was there. I shrugged and brought it back into my office. I opened it up and pulled out the folded up sheet of notebook paper.

Oh Jones.

That was all the paper said. Oh Jones. What did it mean? I didn't know, but I did know who it was from.

Sammy Wilson.

I wanted to be furious. How could he just dangle our relationship in front of me like that? Why couldn't he just talk to me like a normal person? Why'd he have to be all mysterious and make me so mad?

I wanted to march right over to his office and kick the door open and slap that boy. I wanted to cry and tell him I hated him and I wanted to quit my job and run away. I wanted none of this, yet I had gotten all of it.

I shoved the paper in my drawer and decided to go get some real food in the cafeteria. And Lindsey should be there too.

I grabbed five bucks and left my studio. The cafeteria was empty except for a couple janitors eating in the far corner. I grabbed a yogurt and a small container of ice cream and handed my money to the cafeteria worker. I sat down at my regular table alone and took out my phone.

I was halfway through my Twitter feed and was giggling at a funny tweet Harry Styles had posted when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Thinking it was Lucas, I said, "Who is it?"

"It's me."

I froze. The chair next to me pulled out and in and Samuel Wilson was staring at me with a Disney Princess yogurt cup in his hands.