4: "Kilby Girl"- The Backseat Lovers

Cory's pov:

I've never ran this fast in my life. The only reason I was running this fast was because of HIM. It was because of Lake.

Sweat beaded down my forehead and down the back of my neck as I ran. Feet pounding into the ground echoing off the concrete. The Texas heat never rests even at midnight. I'm running to my best friend at midnight.

I still don't know why he's upset but I know it's because of me and that kills me more than anything. I think that's what's driving me to run as fast as I can.

As I rounded the last corner, I could see the stadium lights glowing from behind the school.

I'm suddenly conscious of my heart beat and I can practically feel it in my throat. The thought of Lake waiting for me flooded my thoughts.

He was waiting for me.

As I near the field I can see Lake's muscular build standing in the middle, dead middle.

I know he sees me.

He can't not see me.

I'm running straight for him, full speed. Like a goddamn baby giraffe.

I slowed at the edge of the field and we stared at each other. I could barely make out his facial expression in the dark but my memory filled it in. I can picture his sad brown eyes and his nervous lip quiver. I can imagine his lean body as he ran to the field to position himself in the very middle.

I'm nervous and scared all at once. And maybe, just maybe, a little hopeful? I'm not sure why but yes, hopeful.

I approached him, my usually confident demeanor crumbled as I saw his tear stained face staring back at me. I stood in front of him, our shoes nearly touching, and looked down into his gleaming eyes.

"Lake" I shakily breathed out.

Before I could even muster another word, let alone another breath, a pair of strong hands cupped my cheeks and smashed my face into his.

My stomach dropped and I finally realized what this feeling was. Love. What all the secret smiles and silly races were.

I like Lake.

I LIKE Lake.

I finally snap back into reality and responded to the kiss by closing my eyes and giving in. I gripped Lakes slim hips and eagerly jerked him closer to me.

His tongue pushed against my plush lips, asking for entrance. I allowed as I pulled him even closer, as if that was even possible. I needed him closer. Lakes hands pushed up the hem of my shirt and rubbed against my core. My mind went fuzzy and my breath hitched. His hands grazed my sides and I tensed as his finger tips traveled under my waistband.

Reality then slapped me in the face and I quickly pushed Lake away.

Lake's flushed lips stared me in the eyes as he pleaded, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm just sorry!"

This is wrong. So wrong. My best friend just kissed me. My best friend just kissed me? How are we ever going to recover from this. What do we do if people find out?

I stare at him, tears welling up in his eyes as he searched my body for any kind of response to what just happened. My eyes widened and I took a step back in fear and realization. I love this idiot standing in front of me, strong and lean, crumbling like a little kid. But I can't love this idiot.

"I'm sorry. Cory I'm just so sorry I didn't... I didn't mean" he still pleaded at me, taking weary steps backwards.

I stopped him by gripping his broad shoulders, forcing him to look at me. My heart skipped a beat and my mouth opened to say something but snapped shut as a tear rolled down my face. We were both crying, eyes bouncing around each other's faces, trying to read the other's mind.

"Lake..." I managed to choke out.

"Cory, I have something to tell you and I need you to just shut up and listen to me!" He demanded as his hands reached up and cupped mine on his shoulders.

He pushed my hands off his shoulders gently and sighed. I watched his eyes close and I could basically hear the words scrambling through his head as he searched for what to say. He opened his eyes and met mine.

"Cory I'm in love you. I've been in love with you, I'm not sure how long or for what reason but I love you," Lake huffed out in one breath.

I took it in and smiled through my choked back tears.

"Lake, I think I'm in love with you too."