Chapter 2: The Core

"Tangina!" mahinang singhal ko nang imulat ko ang mga mata ko. A high-pitched sound assaulted my senses, and my vision slowly cleared to reveal an unfamiliar room. Sinulyapan ko naman ang braso ko at nakitang may kung anong bagay na umiilaw sa balat ko.

"Finally, you're awake!" masiglang sambit ng babae sa tabi ko. Hindi ko pa rin inalis ang tingin ko sa umiilaw na bagay sa braso ko.

"Identification device 'yan na tinurok sa'tin bago tayo pumasok dito. Nawalan ka raw kasi ng malay no'ng selection kaya hindi mo na nakitang inilagay 'yan sa'yo." paliwanag niya nang mabakas ang pagtataka sa mukha ko. Ipinakita niya rin sa'kin ang braso niya ngunit 'di gaya ng akin na asul, ay kulay luntian ang sa kanya.

Her voice, although sounded so cheerful, tasted so gamey, like a freshly killed deer. The metallic tang of blood lingered on my tongue, and I felt a strange sense of unease. Naalaala ko tuloy bigla ang kakahuyan sa Astral Reach kung saan ako nangangaso.

I remember the cold, wet forest floor beneath my feet, the sharp smell of pine needles, the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears. I could almost feel the deer's warm blood dripping down my chin. I miss my home. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to shake the memories away. But it was no use. The taste of blood was too strong. I opened my eyes and looked at the woman in front of me.

"Anong araw na ngayon?" naguguluhang tanong ko, sinusubukan alisin sa isip ang mga alaala sa Astral Reach.

"Today's Wednesday," she said. "You've been asleep for 2 days now. Sabi ng doktor maayos ka naman daw kaya pwedeng dito ka na lang sa dorm magpahinga. Maybe, something just triggered your senses kaya nahimatay ka." she said while still smiling, but her eyes were cold and calculating.

I nodded, but I didn't say anything. I was still trying to process everything that had happened. I had been selected and I am assuming that I am already here at The Core. Inilinga ko ang aking paningin sa paligid. Malaki at maaliwalas ang silid na ito kaya nakapagtataka kung kami lang dalawa ang gagamit nito. The walls were painted bright white, and the furniture was all sleek and modern. Napakalambot din ng kamang hinihigaan ko ngayon na ibang iba sa nakasanayan ko matigas na papag sa'min. Parang gugustuhin ko na lang na matulog maghapon dito.

"I'm Lysandra Solstice, by the way. Lysa for short. I came from Celestia's Enclave, and I possess the ability known as Chromesthesia, which allows me to see colors as different musical notes and sounds," she stated, her eyes lighting up with enthusiasm. "How about you?"

"I'm Zolara Everhart. I have an ability to taste voices and emotions," I replied nonchalantly, trying to suppress my current disinterest in socializing. Even back in Astral Reach, I was never one for extensive social interactions, which is why Amber remains my only friend. Speaking of Amber, I wonder where she is now. I remember the proctor calling her just before I passed out. Perhaps she was also selected?

Lysandra and I talked about the journey to The Core and how we ended up here. The Core, located in the heart of the Prismara Realm, was a remote island housing a technologically advanced facility. It surpassed the technological prowess of even the wealthiest region, Luminaire Haven.

"Attention, synesthetes! Please proceed to the auditorium immediately," a sudden loud voice coming from nowhere stopped both me and Lysa. "The orientation will begin in 15 minutes. Wear the uniform provided on your drawer in your respective dormitory"

Hinanap ko kung saan nanggagaling ang boses ng babaeng nagsasalita. Ngunit wala akong makitang kahit anong speaker sa loob ng kwartong ito. The Core is really not joking about having a high-class and advance technology. It's fascinating but quite alarming as well. Are they watching our every move even inside our dormitories? That is creepy as fuck.

I tried to suppress all the negative thoughts about The Core and instead I get ready for the orientation. The uniforms they asked us to wear exude an enigmatic aura, reflecting a balance between elegance and functionality. Delicate patterns adorn the fabric, representing various synesthetic abilities, acknowledging our diverse talents.

A chameleon emblem can also be seen on the left chest which is the symbol of our journey as a synesthete. Kamangha-mangha rin ang pag-babagong kulay ng suot kong uniform ngayon, mula puti ay naging asul ito. Nakadepende siguro sa kung anong klaseng synesthesia ang meron ang isang tao.

"Wow! Ang ganda!" Lysa exclaimed on our way to the auditorium. "Ngayon ko lang naappreciate ang ganda ng Core since it was past midnight since we arrived last Monday."

Tama si Lysa, napakaunique at elegante ng interior ng the Core. The sight before me was both awe-inspiring and intimidating. Its walls were adorned with mesmerizing murals that seemed to shift and change, mirroring the synesthetic experiences of those present.

We arrived at the grand entrance of the auditorium. The large doors loomed before us, seemingly holding the secrets of the universe beyond their imposing facade. Nang makapasok na kami ay halos puno na ang mga upuan. Hindi ko na naman mapigilang mamangha sa nakikita ko.

The vast space was awash with soft, iridescent lighting that shifted in harmony with the emotions of those present. The walls were adorned with mesmerizing patterns, resembling the synesthetic experiences of countless individuals. The stage at the front was adorned with holographic projections of colors dancing in sync with ethereal music.

Inilinga ko ang mga mata ko para hanapin si Amber ngunit kahit anino niya at hindi ko matanaw. Sinubukan ko namang namnamin ang boses ng mga tao sa auditorium. Wala akong pamilyar na boses na malasahan. Hindi ko alam kung tama ang iniisip ko na wala si Amber dito o sadyang bago sa panlasa ko ang mga boses na naririnig ko kaya natatabunan ang kay Amber.

The room fell into hushed silence as a man stepped onto the stage. The unknown man, a figure of authority and power, addressed the assembly with his commanding presence. His voice, a melody of conviction and warmth, resonated through the auditorium, soothing any lingering nerves.

"My fellow synesthetes, welcome to The Core," simula niya, "I am Cassius Elandiir, the Archmage of The Core. Today marks the beginning of your extraordinary journey-a journey to embrace the boundless possibilities that lie within each of you. Here, you will uncover the true essence of your synesthesia, unlocking the keys to your unique powers."

As the Arcmage spoke, holographic displays emerged above the stage, showcasing vivid depictions of the various synesthetic experiences. Colors danced, sounds swirled, and emotions intermingled, creating a mesmerizing display of sensory fusion.

Nararamdaman ko pa rin ang kaba habang nakaupo. Patuloy kong inililipat ang aking paningin sa pag-asang makita si Amber. Suddenly, an inexplicable sensation overwhelmed me. My senses connected with a man in the corner of the auditorium. Our eyes met, and an odd sense of familiarity washed over me. Parang may kakaibang koneksyon kami sa isat-isa. Nagsasalita siya sa loob ng aking isipan na nagpapangilabot sa aking balintataw. Hindi ko maintindihan ang sinasabi niya, ngunit bumaba sa aking lalamunan ang pamilyar na lasa ng kanyang boses.

This taste was very familiar to me. I looked away, trying to remember where and when I had tasted his voice before. I could barely see his face, which added more mystery to what I am feeling right now. If I keep my eyes on him, I'm sure that any moment from now, I'll be vomiting or, worse, I'll pass out again. My eyes suddenly widen from what I thought.

"It was your fault." Siya ang dahilan kung bakit ako nahimatay noong Selection. The room suddenly fell silent as everyone turned their attention to me. Archmage Elandiir stopped and looked directly into my eyes.

Did I say my thoughts again out loud? Fuck, I'm so doomed.