☆-chapter 1

James

The bell had finally rung. It was the last day of our junior year. My beautiful girlfriend and I ran out of that classroom hand in hand. We had made it to senior year and were on cloud 9.
Unfortunately for us, I was going away for the summer. We have a cabin up in Maine, and my family decided we were going to spend the whole summer there. Betty, my girlfriend, couldn't go with us, she had to stay back and look after her family.

After we ran out of the classroom, we went to our lockers and collected our bags. As soon as we walk out of that school, we feel the stress of school lifts off our shoulders. We walk to my car with our fingers interlocked.
I take her bag off her shoulders, place it in my car, and open and close her door. This was a tradition for us now. I had always done this since our first date and our anniversary would be approaching soon, so it's been happening for a while.

I walk around the driver's side of the car and hop in. We are going to get ice cream with friends to celebrate the last day of school. I turn the key to the engine and pull out of the school parking lot for the last time until the new school year.
We pull up to the Diner just down the street from our school. I, of course, get out and walk around to open Betty's door. She is used to this. When we first started dating, whenever she would try to open her door, I would always close it again and open it for her.

Sometimes it feels like everyone wants a relationship like ours. Neither of us is sure why, but people always come up to us to mention how cute we are together. I do like knowing that people find us as good of a match for each other as we are.

Betty and I walk into the ice cream shop, and I'm thankful that there aren't many people here, I hate the crowds. Our friends are sitting at a booth in the corner, waiting for us. Inez and Carter. Inez is Betty's best friend. They always told each other everything. Even if the other didn't want to hear it, they were still honest with each other. Carter is Inez's boyfriend. I have gotten used to always being around the two and have formed a pretty good relationship with both of them.

Betty smiled at Inez, "Hi, Inez! Hey, Carter," she exclaims. Betty was almost as happy as Inez was that school was done. Except Betty enjoyed school. She had always been a hard worker and an overachiever, and she was a quiet and beautiful soul who would never hurt a fly. Inez hugs Betty. "You have no idea how happy I am that school is done, I hate that place." „I know how much you hate that place, considering you got 37 absences this year but we're only sick twice..." "Hey! It's not my fault that they make that building miserable to be at!" We all laugh.

I'm going to miss this. This is our last summer together and I wasn't even going to be there.
I grab Betty's hand, it's as soft and as light as a feather. "Let's get some ice cream!" I yell. We all walk up to the counter and stare at all of the flavors. We come here quite often but there always seem to be new flavors for us to try.

One of them stood out to Betty. It was called "Swirly star." She decided she would try this flavor. For some reason, it just spoke to her. One by one we each got our scoops and sit down. "Let's make a toast," Inez exclaims,
"To the best summer and senior year ever!" She holds her cone in toward the middle of the four of us. "To the best summer and senior year ever!" We all shout and laugh.  School got out a week ago Betty and I have spent every day together for the last week just hoping the moment when I have to leave for Maine would hold off for as long as possible.

I'm scared to leave her alone and to be alone in a brand-new place for such a long time. If something happens to her I have no way to help her. I am really afraid. The day approaches faster than the speed of light. I wish it could have given me just one more day.

The morning I have to leave Betty drives up to my house at a very early hour. I watch as she runs up to the door and opens it. I hear her greet my family then she walks up to my room and goes inside. She is already distraught over the idea of me being gone and so far away for so long. I keep trying to reassure her that everything will be alright. Betty hugs me and I squeeze her tight. Neither of us wants to let go.