Chapter 2

Beetlepaw awoke to the sound of Brokenheart's creaky voice calling his name for a morning patrol. The sun was just starting to rise above the treetops. The dense fog filled his nostrils and snorted. What an aweful smell! Beetlepaw thought to himself. 

"Beetlepaw!" his father called again. 

"I'm coming!" he hollered back. He carefully crept around Branchpaw, who was still sleeping, and exited the apprentice den. He'd never been up so early in his life. The entire clan was still asleep. He turned to the small patrol he was on. There was Gorsefur, the smoky blue tom who was smiling at the apprentice. Then there was Sloedash, a lilac point she-cat, who impatiently flicked her tail and had her ears pinned. 

"You ready for your first patrol?" Gorsefur asked him, with a smile still on his face. Beetlepaw turned to Brokenheart, who still hadn't said anything since calling his name. 

"Yes, I'm excited! Although, I hate waking up this early. Why can't Branchpaw do so?"

"Your brother will get a chance to go on a morning patrol, but probably not today. Lakewatcher might have something else in mind, like showing him the territory borders." Gorsefur turned towards the tunnel entrance and started to walk into it. Brokenheart jerked his head towards the tunnel entrance and followed Gorsefur and so did Sloedash. 

Beetlepaw stayed on Sloedash's tail as he too exited the tunnel from camp. He looked back and saw his mother sleeping peacefully in the Warriors den next to Coldduck, who she'd been talking to a lot recently. 

"Brokenheart, would you like to teach Beetlepaw how to hunt? Just so he knows what to do in the future." Gorsefur suggested. 

"You telling me how I should teach my apprentice?!" Brokenheart hissed, flicking his tail furiously. The smoky blue tom backed away from the angry tabby. Beetlepaw raced up to Gorsefur. 

"May Starclan be by your side every step of the way while you train, Beetlepaw. These six moons are going to be hard for you," the warrior whispered into his ear. Beetlepaw walked either next to Gorsefur or at the back of the group the entire patrol, not wanting to make Brokenheart more upset. 

                                                                                          ***

The patrol got back just in time when Beetlepaw noticed Fernstar standing on Tall Rock, calling a Clan meeting. He imminently rushed to Morningclaw and Branchpaw's side and sat next to them, tail curled along his flank. 

"Mothkit," Fernstar started. Beetlepaw noticed his father sat on the far side of camp. "Today, you have reached the age of six moons and are ready to become an apprentice. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you'll be known as Mothpaw.

"Gorsefur, you're a skilled warrior of Forestclan. You will be Mothpaw's mentor. I hope you'll pass on everything you've learned onto her." The two cats touched noses and the entire clan chanted Mothpaw's name. Beetlepaw was happy for Mothpaw. At least now he and Branchpaw wouldn't be the only apprentices in the apprentice den. The yellow she-cat approached the two young toms and smiled. 

"Finally, I'm an apprentice! Can't wait to go on patrols and learn to fight," she meowed happily. "Hey! Why don't we go on a walk through the forest? Together?"

"I don't know if that's such a good idea, Mothpaw. Brokenheart would be furious if he found out," Beetlepaw replied, looking anxiously at his brother. 

"Ah, what's the worst that could happen? I think it's a great idea! It'll be our own little celebration." The three of them huddled together and whispered.