ONE!

avalon sat on the rooftop of her house, looking out at the sunset.

she couldn't stop thinking about this summer. she knew it would be different. susannah was dead, and so was her connection with the fisher's and the conklin's. the people she had once called her family were now barely in her life, and some not at all.

she couldn't believe how much her life had changed in the span of a few months. it felt like her life was falling apart. it was all hitting her again now that summer was here.

during the school year she could brush everything off, but now she couldn't. this was the time it would hit her the most.

she snapped out of her daze when she heard her bedroom window sliding up. "hey sis." mateo greeted her as he climbed out the window. he sat down next to her, admiring the sunset view.

"hey teo." she spoke dryly. she kept her eyes on the view ahead.

he looked over at her. he could feel sadness building up inside him whenever he looked at her. she had been struggling so much the past few months. he tried over and over to help her, but nothing ever worked. he hated seeing his sister like this.

"you know, there's a party tonight. you should come with me, get out of the house a little." he bumped her arm with his elbow.

she sighed softly and sat there for a moment. "thanks, but i'll pass."

"you can't just sit in your room and mope anymore. i won't let you." he told her.

"i'm not in my room." she looked at him with a smirk on her face.

he rolled his eyes and chuckled, "don't be a smartass av."

she let out a little laugh and looked back out at the sunset.

"come on, i really want you to be there with me. i need my little sis." he tried to convince her once more.

there was a look of disgust on her face, "ew. now i definitely won't be going."

"yeah, whatever." he laughed and stood up carefully. "please just think about it. i'm leaving in an hour or two." he told her, and went back inside the house.

she looked down and let the wind blow her hair while she was thinking. maybe she did need to get out of the house. maybe it would distract her, keep her mind off of everything.

so that's exactly what she was going to do.

she quickly went inside and started to get ready. she rummaged through her closet to find the perfect outfit. she put on a cute lavender, summery dress with white converse. she then put her hair half-up, half-down.

she applied her makeup and put on some jewelry. as she was looking through her jewelry box, she found a necklace she hadn't seen in awhile. it was a moon necklace from jeremiah. she couldn't help but smile when she saw it. although the last time she had spoken to jeremiah was susannah's funeral two months ago, she still loved him. she always would.

last september

it was officially avalon's eighteenth birthday. she had never been a big fan of birthdays, but she tried to make the best out of them anyways.

her mom and mateo planned a birthday dinner with her family and friends. unfortunately, her summer house family couldn't make it. things were too hectic with everything going on with susannah. it was also too much of a hassle. they would at least meet up one random day during the winter to celebrate the birthdays that weren't in the summer. they tried to do that every year.

she still managed to somewhat enjoy the dinner though. after everyone had left, she just went upstairs to her room. she was exhausted.

she was about to fall asleep until jeremiah called.