Lover Boy

Lover Boy by Phum Viphurit began to play as you walked towards me with the biggest smile on your face. The sun shined upon you like a spotlight, making you glow ever so beautifully.

"Good morning Ms. Valentine!" He said cheerfully.

I laughed. "Good morning." He slipped his arm under mine and began to walk me toward the school.

"I told you that we don't need to walk to school every day. People are going to get the wrong idea you know." I said as I pulled my arm away.

He shook his head. "I haven't seen you in over ten years and we were fi nally reunited again after so long. Do you really think I am going to let you go now that I've found you?"

I blushed. I couldn't say anything else, and not because I didn't want to. But I was just at a loss for words.

"Think about it, what were the odds of me finding my first girlfriend at my first job in a different country? Incredible isn't it?! You could even call it fate, no?"

"No, you're right. But we aren't dating. You have your own girlfriend now, and I am happily single. Happily enjoying this period of my life before some fool comes around and ruins it."

"What if I'm that fool?" I stopped walking and looked up at him with a straight face.

"Stop it Luca." I didn't give him a chance to say anything and went off to the school on my own. Mustering everything in me to mute out his footsteps following closely behind.

Luca was my first friend when my parents and I moved back to the country where they were born, a different, magical place. Far different from where I live now. Because I didn't know the language and I didn't know anybody else aside from my grandparents, I was an extremely shy kid.

At school, Luca was the first person to ever approach me without bombarding me with questions in a foreign language. He was sweet and very kind. Over the years we became close and naturally, we dated. We were together up until my mom had to transfer jobs to where I live now, and over time he and I became distant until all communication between us became nonexistent.

Years later, we coincidentally met during the school year teacher's meeting. He just so happened to be one of the few incoming teachers. As per school tradition new teachers get paired up with those who have been around for quite some time, as part of their "training". I happen to be one of those teachers who had been around for quite some time. And to my luck, we were paired together.

Really... what were the odds that we would meet again. In a different country. In a school of all places. And out of everyone that has worked here for years, we would be paired together.

Before I got to the school's entrance I felt a hand on my shoulder and before I could react it pulled me back. I spun around to find the culprit being nonother than Luca. He grabbed my arm and pulled me with him as he walked towards a nearby park. The grip he had on me was so tight I couldn't pull away.

We sat on a bench and I couldn't tell what was louder my heavy breathing or the sound of my heartbeat. Whatever it was, it was a clear sign that I need to work out more. After I was able to catch my breath I turned around and faced Luca.

"Are you insane?!" I yelled. With a much more serious and calm face, he said, "Maybe."

"Maybe?! What do you mean maybe? Seriously Luca what are you even thinking?!" I yelled even louder. I felt my face heat up and my anger rose higher and higher.

"That I love you. That I've always loved you. That I'll always keep on loving you. That I am a fool for being so madly in love with you to the point that it is driving me crazy. That I can't live without you anymore. That I don't want to ever, ever let you go again. And that you're an idiot for assuming that I have a girlfriend. It's funny that you still think that woman you saw me talking to at the bar was my girlfriend. I thought I cleared up that misunderstanding that night. I guess I didn't... Seriously I don't know how else to prove it to you that the only woman in my heart and mind is you. The only woman that I've ever wanted and want is you."

The heat I felt on my face spread across my ears and the back of my neck. I felt the tears run down my hot cheeks. He smiled and cupped my cheeks wiping my tears with his thumb. "I love you," he said in a low voice.